A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

Page 2 of 2

Get at least three estimates. If possible, meet on site and talk to them and try to get a feel for whether they know what they are doing. Last time I had to replace a unit I got prices from $3500 up to $6000. Low end was Goodman's and high end was Trane but price wasn't the only factor. The Trane guys didn't really sound all that sharp whereas the Goodman guy seemed to know what he was doing. Can't recall the guy in the middle. For good or bad, you can't go by price very much as a measure of competence. Also give some thought to how satisfied you were with the cooling performance of the old unit.... was it adequate for really hot days? If not, you might want to bump up another half ton in capacity.

my hvac system just went out this summer. the most important thing you can do is find a good installer with knowledge, ask friends,bosses,etc. 2nd, is to find a matching system that you like. I had a 30 year old singer die, and decided to do the whole thing. research,research,research. down to model numbers when they deliver the unit and plop it down in the driveway go out and get the serial numbers off of the box. I did and put them stickers on the unit after install
I ended up going with a carrier infinity model 80,000btu all the way with a 3.5 ton a/c. before I was using a 1 ton. remember things are getting cooler anymore (global warming) so go larger for the a/c unit. the digital controls and upgrades are awesome and get a furance with hepa filter. this is for a 2400sqft home.
I did so much research I pissed off the installer guy by being a know it all. they did a awesome install job. I dropped close to 7 grand on it.

What did the load calculation state you needed. You didnt research enough, you had a 1 ton AC before and now have 3.5 ton AC, if that 1 ton cooled your home at all decently you have just left yourself with a future of an uncomfortable home in summer, it will be very humid and clammy. ACs should be sized to run nearly 100% on your hottest day, humidity removal all summer cant be achieved on an oversized unit. My AC is oversized and it sucks so bad I run 2-Two dehumidifiers, I insulated after the instal so it was my mistake. If you read and learned you would of had a load calculation done and followed what it said on sizing. Global warming, think insulation.

What did the load calculation state you needed. You didnt research enough, you had a 1 ton AC before and now have 3.5 ton AC, if that 1 ton cooled your home at all decently you have just left yourself with a future of an uncomfortable home in summer, it will be very humid and clammy. ACs should be sized to run nearly 100% on your hottest day, humidity removal all summer cant be achieved on an oversized unit. My AC is oversized and it sucks so bad I run 2-Two dehumidifiers, I insulated after the instal so it was my mistake. If you read and learned you would of had a load calculation done and followed what it said on sizing. Global warming, think insulation.
=========================================== Thanks, sounds like good advice.
Olddog

the old system was unsized. the new system is working fine, humity is about 50% on a 90 degree day.....sorry for the misinterpretation of what I typed.

Goodman is nothing but a piece of shit. They have the best warranty out there because you will need it. Run as fast as you can from anyone that suggests Goodman/Amana! I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
<ftwhd> wrote in message wrote:

Get back under your bridge pin-head.
Olddog

Well I'm going replace the motor and see how long this thing is going to last.
Thanks everyone (except the troll)
Olddog
ing to

Now that you called me a troll I hope that you do burn your house down. Idiot. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.