A/C Frozen?

Hi

We have a new a/c & heating unit since June 2003. We have been using a 3M filter that blocks allegens in our heating & a/c unit. It says to change at least every three months which we have been doing. Our last filter went in early May of this year.

I noticed last night that the a/c was constantly running and the temp in the house did not go below 75 even though the thermostat was set around 70. I figured that perhaps the coolant was low, but decided to check the filter. It was black through and through on both sides. I did notice water that had leaked on the floor.

I turned the system off and replaced the filter with a new clean one. I let the system sit for over five hours thinking that perhaps it was frozen and had to thaw. I then then tried turning it back on. I saw more water on the floor and turned the system off and removed the new filter which was soaked.

Once I took the filter out the water seemed to flow better toward the outake drain. I have the system off currently. Any suggestions to what is going on? Should I leave it off longer and wait for a thaw or could something else be happening here?

Thanks, Jeff To email me delete NOjunk from the email address.

Reply to
BoyAngel1127

John Q Public

Is your condensate drain clogged? I don't know the geometry of your system but if the condensate is not draining away it might be collecting and wicking up into the filter. Check for obstructions at the outlet and try pouring a SMALL amount of bleach down the drain after you mop up enough water so it won't overflow.

Reply to
Greg

Coils freeze up when they get too cold for the condensing water to remain liquid and run off to the drain. They could be getting too cold due to improper charge in the unit, insufficient air flow over the coils, or perhaps the unit was just poorly installed.

If this is a one-time thing, perhaps your filter was so clogged with dust and stuff that air flow was significantly reduced, and once the system is fully thawed out and maintained with a new filter each month, you'll be OK.

If it happens again, though, it's a sign of a more serious problem requiring professional attention.

In either case, why not call a reliable, licensed HVAC crew in to do a yearly check up. Tell them what you told us. Let them figure it out. Hopefully the company that installed it is still around; give them a shot at investigating it.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Is your system under warranty? I would call your installer and ask them questions. The pros will know best.

If you thought the coil was froze, i would have left your unit on fan only to keep air flowing past the coil to help defrost it faster. I could be also your drain has crud in it from the original install that is partially plugging it up.

I would have the coils checked, cleaned if necessary, and your drain cleaned out and checked. Start with your originally installer. If you have other problems such as charge level, if there competent they will get to the bottom of it.

Seriously, so you really need the thermostat on 70? Maybe you should get it cleaned out and try to run it set on 75 and see what happens. This mentality that setting the thermostat lower will help the house cool off faster drives my nuts. I know, because my wife tries to do it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz
[ ... ]
[ ... ]

Because the filter was wet, I wonder if the black was black mold. Since you are using allergin filters, I assume someone in the house has allergy problems. Mold spoors are usually at or near the top of the list of allergin trouble makers.

Before the water problems, how did the old filters look when you changed them? If they were very dirty you should consider changing them more often and try to find out why there is so much dust in the air.

----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc): (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]

Barry Mann

Oh, come on now. It's common knowledge that setting the thermostat to a lower temperature will always make the house cool faster.

It's also true that pushing the elevator button harder and faster will make the elevator arrive more quickly. And, simply mashing the accelerator pedal to the floor harder will increase the vehicle's rate of acceleration.

;)

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

... and then there are those like my wife, who, being pregnant, is keeing the house at 70 F permanently.

She's usually the first to complain when I set it down to 72 (it's FREEZING in here!) and walks around in a sweatshirt. But this summer, due to the rugrat on the way, the house is a very cool 70, and she still complains "It's HOT in here!"

Hot. Yeah, that's why the cat is sleeping on the dryer or my tower of AV equipment. The poor thing is trying to keep warm!

:-)

Marc

Reply to
MAG

CHECK it every 30...and I have more info below on those crappy damn filters..

Coolant? Refrigerant. Black? Anyone a candle burner? No matter, get rid of that POS 3M filter and get one that will not restrict your airflow as bad. WAY overpriced, and no need for that much restriction. IF you need that much filter, you should seriously consider something along the lines of an AirBear.

A-Coil was PROBABLY frozen, along with a clogged drain. DO NOT use bleach to try to clean it out. Bleach, should you get it on the coils, will start to cause damage.

Depending on your unit, and where the filter is located, this could be a warning that your return duct is not set up for the added restriction of the

3M filter.

Reply to
CBHVAC