a/c fan wont start

I noticed my home was not colling but air was blowing. I hit the power switch to the a/c unit for a minute and tried it again. I hope i didnt just bunr out the unit completely!! I hear clicking a what sounds like a motor running outside, and the air still comes through the vents, but the fan will not spin. HELP!.. single parent no money ... in hot azz FL!!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

contactor (relay) outside (<$100)for parts capacitor outside (<$100) for parts fan motor is bad. (<$200) for parts

Those prices seem typical and reasonable; plus labour and use of tools, possibly new 'freon' gas and miscellaneous, cost of coming to house,etc. There is no one simple answer. You (or someone you trust not to overcharge you) have to trouble shoot it to identify cause of the problem. If you do not have the skills to electrically/mechanically to do so, get someone who knows how. Cos otherwise one can start replacing pieces which have nothing to do with the problem and or it will cost more in the longer term! This is rather like saying "My electric kettle does not boil"; without identifying whether the kettle is faulty, the outlet or the or cord is broken, there is a fuse or circuit breaker open, the power went off or there is a fault on 'one side' of the power supply to the house. Your AC unit problem may be something simple, and cheap. Or a major component failure which has decided to pack up as the warm season starts! It's getting hot and my sons vehicle air conditioning for example needs re-charging. It has leaked coolant since a local outfit here buggered it up on him a while ago and it now does not cool adequately. Sorry not to be specific.
I've got a couple ideas why your fan isn't starting. But any repair needs someone who is familiar with electricity, and servicing equipment. There isn't any really easy answer. It's very likely going to need some specialized AC parts, and someone to install the parts.
I'd suggest to call your friends and neighbors. Ask them to reccomend an honest AC repair firm.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.