a/c fan squeals

Page 2 of 2

one.
you
your
Because to properly charge a unit, its going to take 15-20 min for the temps to stabilize...in ORDER TO DO IT RIGHT, and he might have to do it more than one time.

He BETTER have gone inside. If he didnt, he raped you hard man.

I dunno man....I know I charged on tonight, was there for 3 hours to insure all was correct, (had to service the unit properly too) and the bill was under $200...we dont charge for R22.

You sure he added half a pound? What kind of scale did he use as he was charging your unit? Seriously...no flame here man...asking legit questions cause it looks like you got raped.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

The unit had run for nearly 25 years with no service. Not much of a leak. Actually he was hesitant about the need to add any Freon but after repeating some test put some in. And no, he wasn't one of the guys that carrys a five pound can, squirts some in the air and then charges $10 per pound for for 2-3 pounds.
Stretch, 7/17/2005, 10:08:48 PM,

What about light machine oil -- 5W? Is that the same as sewing machine oil or penetrating oil?
--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

This is Turtle.
Sewing Machine oil yes but NO penetrating oil at all.
Most Manufactor will say 20 Weight oil. I use 20-W-40 weight oil or straight 30 weight oil. Anyweight oil you use is better than no weight oil at all.
Don't Use WD-40, LPS, 777, 3 in 1 oil, or any penetrating oil product.
TURTLE
most all newer fan motors are sealed and will need to be replaced.
Not really applicable. OP did say something about 15 yrs old.
With newer motors, in case of bearing failure, you may be able to press bearing(s) off/on- or any competent motor shop. That is how they're assembled. Sometimes you can get some lube in with an oiler that's like a hypodermic, through the lip-seal. Never say never.
No matter- Grainger or other supplier should be able to find replacement for current stuff.
HTH, J
QUIRT EVANS wrote:
most all newer fan motors are sealed
Somewhat true.
and will need to be replaced.
Absolutely not true.
In alt.home.repair on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:35:34 GMT "Gideon"

So what does one to rehab a sealed fan motor?

Usually not dificult for a repairman to reoil a fan motor.
Since it hasn't had maint in a while, it needs cleaning, and check the freon. I'd expect the clean and check special, under a hundred bucks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
badgolferman, 7/17/2005, 9:47:32 PM, wrote:

I have since looked at the fan up close and would like to report my observations.
Fan model and specifications: 5KCP39BG K497S 220 VAC, 0.9 Amp, 1/8 HP, 1100 RPM
Apparently when I removed the cover which the fan is also attached to I broke the ground terminal lug from the chassis. Being an electronic technician, fortunately I had the equipment to repair this. I had an oiler with a needle attached that had 5W machine oil which I used to drip a bunch of oil down the shaft. The shaft spun smoothly before and after oiling so maybe there hasn't been too much damage. It's been running straight for three hours since SE VA is very hot today and my wife had shut off the A/C for fear of it breaking while I was gone to work today. I haven't heard any squealing or screeching yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Tomorrow I will call local shops and locate a replacement just in case. Thanks to everyone who responded.
--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

Let's see.....1 squealing fan....or..... having a house in 90s F with 100% humidity. I have no A/C. I'd love to hear a fan squeal.
I have to laugh at the weather channel making a big deal out of 110 temps in the south west. That is DRY heat and is nothing compared to having high humidity. Been out west when it's hot and dry and it's not so bad. The only thing is my skin feels like there are bugs on it because my skin is drying out.