A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

I have a A/C system which suddenly stopped blowing cold air overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no freon in the system, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil. Bubbles appear where the arrow points at: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/photo/294928804394969908/0 .
Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the quote in range?
Thanks, wjspm
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Why is it not covered under warranty, or do you mean one of those after purchase "extended warranties" that are really insurance policies intended to make big profit for those selling them?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

What does the warranty cover?
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

Repairing evap coils on a sealed system is not as simple as a heating coil. The system has to be filled with an inert gas, (usually nitrogen) before brazing it, then the system has to be evacuated before some time to get the moisture out, etc.
If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?
According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are under warranty, parts only, no labor.

If the $800 is just for labor, that seems high. I'd call another tech to check it out.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Zyp says: He can fix it! $800 's a bit stiff though. Even in California, but a good tech can pull it, pressure it, pinpoint it, braze it, re-install it, evacuate, and charge. What's the big deal? But if it's full of pin holes.... then a new coil is needed. -- Zyp - Zephyr
IF he can pinpoint the leak, and its probably on a U bend brazed joint, he can fix it and it will be fine for a while. Unless Stormy is working on it. - ftwhd
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html Additionally to the above, Purge with dry nitrogen, braze flowing it, and install new filter dryers - udarrell
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Zyp says: He can fix it! $800 's a bit stiff though. Even in California, but a good tech can pull it, pressure it, pinpoint it, braze it, re-install it, evacuate, and charge. What's the big deal? But if it's full of pin holes.... then a new coil is needed. -- Zyp - Zephyr
ftwhd says, If he can pinpoint the leak, and its probably on a U bend brazed joint, he can fix it and it will be fine for a while. - ftwhd