A/C EFFICIENCY

Page 1 of 2

We live in Southern Arizona. The A/C unit is on the south side of the house. and gets direct sun most of the day. In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.
Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade over the A/C unit ?
Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?
( planning my summer projects.... )
<rj>

Yes, anything you can do to shade it without cutting down on air flow immediately around it will help significantly. Usually some type of bushes, plants, tree, etc is a good choice.

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that shading would reduce energy usage significantly.
The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy required to run the compressor.
If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.
DK wrote:

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed it won't?
Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed that eating pork pies will NOT protect you from rabid skunks?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue or the effect of pork pies on rabid skunks?

--
"How could you ask be to believe in God when there\'s
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

This is beyond stupid. The lower the outside temp, the less energy it takes for any air conditioning unit to lower the temp. That is simple physics. It;s also simple physics that on a hot day, it;s cooler in the shade than it is to stand out in the direct sun.
I'm sure you can find a "scientific study", but do you need one? Do you need a scientific study to tell you it's not good to cross a street full of moving traffic?

No, I don't. But the other guy seemed to think one was needed.

On 1 Feb 2007 19:25:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

YOU will be cooler in the shade. That doesn't mean the air is cooler.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:47:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Common sense is often wrong.
Once it was common sense that the Earth couldn't be moving. You don't feel motion. Now we know the Earth is moving, and very fast. Also that we never feel movement. Just acceleration.

I needed mine cleaned a couple of years ago. It had quit cooling at all.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

But I don't think it's wrong in this case.

[..]

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?
There are available sprayer things that mist the compressor with water that supposedly work much better than any shading could.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

In a dry climate, yes.
However, you'd have the problem of dissolved minerals caking the coils.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I saw the technician take mine off. It didn't look very hard. Turn off the electricity first (mine had a disconnect right there) and remove a few hex-head screws.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
The ones I've serviced, the outer cover is held on with a bunch of screws. For a sheet metal worker, it's pretty basic skills. What's your skill level?
Rinsing with a water hose won't do much, the dirt is usually packed in. True cleaning requires the cleaning chemicals that HVAC folks use.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

if necessary or I can get the eletric tool from home depot. I am sick of paying the money (that I don't have) for simple things.
I won't bother trying to do these myself if I am rich. Last place where I lived (a condo), the guy advertised for cheap price for cleaning vent but but when he got to my place, he said I needed to do this and that and so I got him cleaned the coil and what not (I need to keep the air as clean as possible and so I took care of those when I moved in; I had no information what the previosu ownder did thanks to my useless family who did the purchase ), and the next thing I knew, it was over $ 300.00.
He mentioned efficiency of the A/C unit and I agreed to cleanign it and so he did go up the roof to wash that housing but I have no idea whether he just used the wster or not. That was the first time I lived at a non-managed apartment. A freidn of mien laughed saying he carged you "---" for rinsing out with water? Made me feel bad at the time but I wouldn't have the ladder to go up there anyway. May be I can through my upstairs neighbor's place.
At my current place, I have been noticing that my A/C is not stopping once reached the temperature set. Of course, right now, I am heating the house. (BTW, my understanding is that it uses gas while coolign portion used electricity.) So I just stopped it manually by either turning off or adjust temperature to 1 degree lower but then I have to go turn it back on when it gets cold.

Can we buy that same chemicals? Licensing required? I don't know what's in it but I'd be able to handle it safely once I know what's in it. I was a chemist.

Make sure the thermostat is installed straight. If it has a bit of tilt to it, it can delay start or stop.

On Feb 4, 6:09 am, "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-

Dos buying the same chemicals require Licensing?