A/C Dual Capacitor failed again?

I have central air where the outside fan failed to work a few weeks ago. I replaced the Dual Capacitor last Saturday because it was swollen and upon replacing it, it worked fine. NOW, I'm back to the same symptoms: Inside fan works and the compressor hums but the outside fan isn't working.

What could be causing this repeated failure? I'm wondering if the appliance parts store gave me the right capacitor. I pulled out a GE originally but the guy at the counter gave me a different brand.

Could it just be an incompatible capacitor or is there something that could be causing capacitors to fail? What should I look for to correct this from happening again?

Thanks for any advice!

GO TURTLE!

Reply to
mstrhappygolucky

This is Turtle.

Well did the new capasitor work when you put it on the second time ?

Give me the Brand and Model number of the condenser You have .

Give me the origial capasitor size and the two replacement capasitor sizes. It will look like this on the side of the capasitor. [ 35 / 5 uf 370 volt ]

About when was the condenser installed in years. 5 / 10 / / 15 / 20 years ago.

Let me get my crystal ball out here.

It's a Goodman / 2.5 ton / installed in about 1997 to 2000 year / and has not been serviced since. How did I do ?

Give me the info above and I can take a look at it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi Turtle, thanks for your help!

The condensor is a Bryant 563CN048-A and was installed in 1997 and I don't think it has ever been serviced. I think it's a 4 ton.

The origninal capacitor was a GE and the new one is a Haoye 00300821 and it reads (60+5) uF +/- 5% 440V. I don't have the GE capacitor anymore but it read the same excet had a smaller votage number. The GE capacitor was all swollen but the Haoye is not.

I hope I answered your questions correctly.

Thanks again!

Reply to
mstrhappygolucky

That sounds like an expensive capacitor, and probably only the 5uF side is bad. If there's room to mount it, you can put a second can that is just a 5uF run capacitor and it will be cheaper and more robust. If you also have to replace the 60uF, it will still be cheaper than a 60+5, and the 60 can be a starting capacitor (cheaper than a run capacitor).

All the wires marked "F" on the 60+5 go to one side of the new 5uF, and you connect a wire from the Common side of the 60+5 to the other side of the new 5uF.

Something else may be wrong that caused the 2nd cap to fail, or it may have just been defective like the GE's are. (I've never heard of Haoye before, and I bet they are cheap Chinese capacitors and the specs don't mean much)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thanks for your reply. The capacitor was $29 US. It worked for a week before I was back to the same symptoms of the inside fan running and the outside fan not running.

Reply to
mstrhappygolucky

This is Turtle.

The difference in the capasitors is only the voltage rating and very seldom makes much difference but in about 1% of the time it will make a difference.

Now two capsitors going bad in a very short time sound or seems very problematic and maybe something else causing the problem and the capasitor being the result of the problem. If cases of the capasitor busting. I have seen about 1 out of 10 it is the fan motor or compressor going out and the 9 out of 10 times it is the capasitor it'self just going out. You need to check the fan motor and compressor to see about one of them over amping too much. Get the F.L.A. of the fan motor and the R.L.A. of the compressor and check if the amperage is not on or above that amount of amps.

It maybe time to call a service company to check the system out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks again Turtle!

Yes, this is a bit over my head. I'll contact a pro for service.

Thanks!

Reply to
mstrhappygolucky

Good answer. I think you found the problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Outside fan running is treacherous. I got a call like that a couple years ago. Outside fan stopped, and the guy figured out he could start it with a stick through the grate.

Shortly after that the compressor died. I got to replace both fan and compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon