A/C condenser fix

Came home to a hot house today. A/C blower running but condenser unit not. Smelled of burned electrical wire outside. Discovered in the non-fused disconnect box remnants of a wasp nest and one of the two wire to the unit completely severed from a small flash fire within the box. 40 AMP breaker was not thrown.
Bought a new breaker and a new disconnect and inspected everything - at condenser and main unit - before re-assembly. (After seeing the schematic, other than the signal wires to the condenser, I see now that the two are totally separate.)
It is all running now and appears to be cooling. (Unfortunately, unit is older than 15 years, so I know I am living on borrowed time.)
Could it be that the wasp nest shorted the condesner's capacitors? All fire evidence was on the load side of the wiring, not the supply side. Am I OK to keep my DIY fix?
Thanks, Danny Hindes dannyhindes at yahoo dot com

Condensor and main unit??? What do you mean? Do you mean the outdoor condensor and the indoor evap coil/air handler?

That you are indeed....seriously.

Nope..its running isnt it?

Probably not. Most times when we see this, its due to a compressor that is about to go..however, it didnt throw your breaker....and while thats actually more common than some would like to admit, its odd.. Now...I can tell you that I cant see it, I cant take amp readings, and so on.... But I might suggest in the strongest sense of the word, that you get a good tech out and let them go over the unit and check it out....I have seem MANY a wasps nest in a disconnect, but being that they are made of paper, its a rare thing that it shorts out anything...ever...

Ok..standard split system, I thought so, but in case someone else was reading it helps to have the right parts, stated... No big deal...

Ummm think RUN cap...not all units use a START cap..and even if it is, paper wont short one like that...and if it had, since most all caps in the units made in the last 30 years or so, have a constant supply off the contactor, it would have done alot more than dischargethe cap..

Good idea, but it could be a sign of bigger problems, and your higher than norm bill, MIGHT, and thats M I G H T be pointing to other issues..

Might, maybe, be covered in a sealant that we use. But, no...prob not a cause. Thats powered from your 24VAC transformer in the unit in your attic..not the unit outside..all that does is tell the condensor its time to close the contactor..

Do...would like to know what he tells you and see how good he really was... really.

CBHvac (wish you'd use your real name):
You mentioned "running a long time": Yes, it had been running a long time. We experienced many days of > 100 degrees up until this occurred, and the electric bill last month was VERY HIGH.
I had a chat with my brother-in-law and he agreed that getting a good installer is the key - Lennox or York. He said he could save me a couple hundred with a Lennox family-member discount, but I don't know that I am going to do it when the day comes. I think I am going to start my search for the right company now.
I liked your pictures on your website. If I had taken some pictures of it, I'd post my own experience with ducting off this same unit. Long story short, one half of the downstairs of our 2-story house has never heated or cooled well - and it all seemed like a flow problem. Being that directly overhead was an addition done to the house before we owned it, I was convinced that there were crushed flex ducting under the floorboards up there.
I talked the wife into letting me pull up carpet and boards, and I found that a total of five ducts ranging from 5" to 10" were all crammed though a floorboard cutout of about 200 SQ inches.
Still haven't called a carpet guy out, though, to fix my peel-back. I never seem to complete my projects' cosmetics.
Thanks for your help,
Danny Hindes