A/C condenser finicky startup

Once I noticed the same, I got the repair man out he found a bad capacitor and said if it went complely it would have ruined the compressor. Get a pro out don`t guess.

Reply to
m Ransley

A true hard start kit is a start relay and start capacitor. Both must be the correct size for that particular compressor and wired a special way.

Dave is refering to a superboost. It provides more boost than a start thermistor, but is not as good as a true hard start kit.

You may have a time delay relay installed in the outdoor unit. Many times with electronic thermostats, there is one in it also. Most units with scroll compressors include one from the factory.

If it is not even trying to start, ie not even humming for a couple of minutes, then it is probably a time delay relay somewhier in the circuit.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

look at the contacts and wire conections on the unit , maybe burnt contacts or relay not kickin in or loosenand snug wires...most ive seen the ac compressor and fan outside turn on a few seconds before the inside blower or at the same time.lucas ..

Reply to
ds549

Domestic Ac units can have a hard time starting up. They have a cheap start capacitor which will work if the unit's been off for 10 minutes or so. But even then, it can be tough. Have a tech install a 'hard-start' kit. No I'm not making it up. It just clips on the existing start capacitor. And while the tech is at it, have them check the voltage and wiring. We all start a little slower after

17 years.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

My Central A/C seems to provide good cooling. However the condenser seems finicky regarding starting up when turning the system on. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Usually the condenser takes a couple of minutes to start-up after the thermostat has definitely activated the cooling system. My assumption is that there is a time-delay built into the condenser or A/C system. (I know it's definitely NOT built-into my thermostat). Even though there is usually a start-up delay, sometimes the condenser will start up right away when turning on the system. One time, when I went to turn it on, it quickly started up for a few seconds and then shut itself off. (when that happened, rather than wait for it to decide when to restart again, I then shut the system off for a few minutes, and then tried turning the A/C on again, and it the condenser started after an the usual couple-of-minutes delay.)

My condenser is a Carrier unit that is around 17 years old. Other than the finicky startups, it has provided good cooling so far. Is this normal behavior, or a sign of something in need of repair? Anything you recommend I (or a technician) adjust?

Thanks,

Jay

Reply to
jay

If it reliably starts within a 5 min period of resetting the breaker when there is a call for heat/ cool then probly its just normal operation your seeing is all.

Now if the unit is tripping the breaker, then it is probly wise to put in a services call.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT