A/C Capacitor

I had my capacitor replaced a few months ago. I had emailed before about my electricity usage going through the roof this summer - even though we have had a cooler summer. Could the capacitor replacement be causing inefficiency?

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

Normally a capacitor fault prevents the unit from starting (or running). In that case you just don't get any cooling.

Top four list (Letterman minus 6) -- things to check for high bills:

  1. The filter in the interior blower has not been changed recently.

  1. The heat exchanger in the exterior unit is clogged. Needs to be cleaned with with hand-pump (fairly low) pressure sprayer, cleaner, sit, then lots of water.

  2. You had a hot summer.

  1. Your electric rates jumped during the summer or during peak hours.

Reply to
TOM

This is Turtle.

Hummmmmm , I can't see that being one of the causes , but maybe if the capasitor was grossly under sized it might make a slight difference inbetween stop working and still running. I don't see a big difference at all as more electricity being used.

When customer tell me this. the first thing comes to mine is to wash the condenser coil out for this can run that bill to the moon if it is dirty. Wash you condenser coil out with a water hose and turn off the 220 volt service to it and after doing it then leave power off for 2 hours to let it dry. Then fire it back up.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Did he ever have the duct work checked? This may not be a problem where the ducts are metal and run in the walls but if they are "flex in the attic" they DO blow open or succome to animal damage if you get critters in the attic.

Reply to
Greg

This is Turtle.

Your fixing to complex him here. He wants a quick fix and does not have the time for a real check over. When it goes down he will call a service company to come get it running again. This is just a quick fix question.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE