a/c and fans

Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't handle the job too well.
We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans in the bed rooms.
1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?
2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze at night, even thought he a/c is on?
thanks
Ken

It doesn't make energy-wise sense to run the A/C with exhaust fans and/or windows open. However, you can turn off the A/C and turn on the fans which will save you about 90% in kwhrs. Your new central a/c was not properly sized/installed. Perhaps you can put in a through-the-wall or window a/c unit upstairs.

Agree. And since it's a new system, what did the installer promise before they installed it? What do they say now? Are there enough returns upstairs? If not, that is a common problem. Can any of the returns be opened up more by cutting drywall and installing a bigger register grill on the opening? How about the attic? Well ventilated and insulated? If not, get more ventilation/insulation in there, which will help and also reduce costs in winter
I'd get after the company that did the work. And there is always small claims court.
On Jun 26, 4:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

A new system might give you legal options, if it was done right it should cool. is there an upstairs return. Why would you leave a window open bringing in warm air

He already knows the duct work is not up to snuff. Good chance he was told that but wanted the install anyway. If he was told that up front, it is not going to be beneficial to waste the court time.

Opening a window to get cool air while running the poor performing AC is a waste of energy, counterproductive to the AC working properly. You need to get the AC performance right.
There are a few possibilities with your situation and the installer should be there to inspect and determine the problem. Unless it was a cheap-o setup and against the recommendation of the installer.
First is the blower speed. Is it running properly? Next is the ducts, both supply and return. You already know the ducts are not up to snuff, but it may be possible to improve or change them. They should both have enough capacity to handle the needs of each room on each floor and they must be balanced. One thing you can do to force more cooler air to the second floor is to cut back the registers on the first floor.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I'd be tempted to keep them closed. Don't want to let humidity in.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:23:49 -0700, ken wrote:

New AC not performing? Call installer.

Try closing the 1st floor registers. This should force the cold air to the 2nd floor, where it will drift down and still cool the 1st floor. Of course, this is just temp solution until you can get it fixed correctly.
My guess is that your older house doesn't have the appropriate ductwork for A/C being that it's either too small for it or the return on the second floor is placed too low for cooling.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They have Ductless Mini-Split Systems whereby one condenser outdoors can serve several rooms.
Do a google or Yahoo search for Ductless Mini-Split Systems.
Use your imagination and install some kind of an air block at the top of the stairs. If not already installed, put dampers on the upstairs ducts & size the first floor AC to handle that heatload.
DISCLAIMER: I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any of my Web pages, Newsgroups or E-mails. All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor & properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. I am NOT liable for your decisions or screw-ups, you are liable for what you do! - Darrell Udelhoven - Retired Licensed Tech & Contractor - udarrell