A big thanks to Georgia Power

After procrastinating for several years, and quite a few ruined small appliances, I finally called Georgia Power's engineering department to come change my household power line. For the second summer in a row, I've sustained damage from power surges. For instance, I had to have the motherboard in my furnace replaced again, second year in a row. (The HVAC guy I hired replaced it both times, and gave me a steep discount this time, even though it was out of warranty, and the problem was neither his fault nor mine. I'll send you a recommendation via email upon request).

So I phoned in to GP and passed along my problems to the engineering section. They came out and replaced the wire, which was the original

1950s cloth-covered copper wire. They also replaced the neutral wire anchor on the side of the house, which they said was the culprit. It had become corroded and loose over the years, and this made the system prone to surges, they said. They replaced with a different design of attachment, which they said would not loosen. While they were out, I asked them to make sure my system was properly grounded. It was, they said. I asked because I had heard of people who had their wiring grounded to their plumbing, and when the metal pipes were replaced by plastic, then the ground would be gone.

So I'm hoping this will be the end of my surge problems. There was no charge, since this was all on GP's side of wall. If you've been having similar problems, it's worth a call.

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

-- The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

If you had an open neutral, then your problem wasn't surges (although some might call this situation a permanent surge!).

An open neutral could create a severe voltage imbalance on the two hot legs of your 240 volt service so that one leg would be much higher than 120V. and the other would be less than 120V., depending on your wiring and what appliances you had on at any point in time.

Without being there, it sounds like that this was the condition your power company rectified... Again, strictly speaking... An engineer would not claim that these were power surges.

It was fortunate for you that your power company admitted that the problem was on their side of the service entrance. Open neutrals can and do occur in customer provided equipment as well.

Reply to
Beachcomber

I would also get surge suppressor power strips for everything electronic. If your furnace plugs into a regular outlet, put one there as well. These may only work with a 3 prong grounded outlet.

You can also get a "whole house surge suppressor" which is installed in your main electric panel by an electrician. I have both whole house AND surge power strips for everything electronic. Never had a problem.

Surges can come from other sources than the wiring they fixed. Each time the power blips on/off, there can be a surge. Or a neighbor can short out an outlet and this can cause a surge at your house. Etc.

Reply to
Bill

Perversely enough, my computer's battery backup/surge protector was one of the items that got fried this past time. I've had a couple of people suggest the whole house surge suppressor, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

-- The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

About $50 and dirt simple to install if your hand fits a screwdriver. It does require opening the circuit breaker box and connecting some wires (two live, two neutrals, and a ground).

Reply to
HeyBub

Real glad your local utility did your home up right.

However, ahm-a, Am I the only one that feels that expending the major effort of getting through to the 'Engineering' dept, getting them to send a crew out to the customer's site, and repair the utility equipment is so AMAZING (and maybe unusual) that it actually rates a BIG GLOAT on a newsgroup? Is there a message in this?

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Charge GP for your damages?