a bad hummmmm

i have just installed a prewired 8 ft flourescent light fixture in my basement, as i blew out the ballast on the other one. now there is a really... i mean, REALLY bad hum that is there every time i turn on the light. any suggestions on how to get rid of it ...other than buying a new fixture ??

Reply to
WARRENRN1

In you just installed it, take it back, it should not be that loud. Get a better one, look for one with electronic ballast. It will be quieter, last longer and be more efficient. It will also be a few bucks more, but worth it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is the fixture grounded? Firmly mounted? COLD? All the ballast mounting hardware secure?

Now that winter is here my 8 footers in the garage like to sing to me in the morning. They do it every time it gets below 50F degrees. You can buy a cold rated ballast, to zero if you want, They are pricey and use a little heater that runs all the time to keep the ballast warm. I used to install them for sign lights years ago.

Reply to
SQLit

Remove the tubes & the sheet metal cover to expose the ballast and wiring. Tighten every screw you see, reassmble, and test. If it still hums, exchange it. If it is a really cheap unit you may have to upgrade to something higher quality if you don't want any humming

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman