Window well below grade - how extend?

My window wells ended up slightly below grade after doing some work to improve drainage around the foundation. I would like to extend them by perhaps 6 to 10 inches to finish the job, but I'm stymied at coming up with a solution. Ideal would be a well extension that fit right on top of the existing well with a slight lip that overlapped the top of the existing well. The original contractor installed the existing wells right with bolts and caulk, so shifting them up isn't an option.

Any ideas about possible solutions?

Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
phelps

How about the shortest one you can buy that is slightly bigger than the one you have?

Second best choice would be to frame and pour and extension out of concrete using the mix in a bag, enriched.

I can go in to more detail if you like.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Replace them with taller ones.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

responding to

phelps wrote: Thanks everyone - some direction I can work with here.

Trying to avoid replacing with taller ones because I don't want to excavate out 4 wells and muck up the planting around them. I'll work on the other options.

JB

Reply to
phelps

Last time I ran into that situation (grandmother's house where the yard kept getting taller and trying to eat the back patio), we went one size larger, and created a stepped window well, with gravel in the in-between area to keep the drainage working right. Digging was easier than cutting the metal with the tools we had available, so we just dug down and planted the new one to correct depth.

Reply to
aemeijers

WARNING!

The grade MUST BE BELOW THE HOMES SILL!!

if the grade is too high, that is dirt close to top of foundation moisture can get ton Sill and cause rot:( termite and carpenter ant infestation:( all of these love wet wood to live on, whoever regraed yard may not be aware of this possiblity.........

Reply to
bob haller

replying to phelps, Var wrote: Don't know what the length of the arc of your window well is, but what I did for raising mine about 4 to six inches taller was to get a length of garden/lawn edging and attach it to the window well -- on the outside -- with self-tapping screws and silicone the inside edge where they meet. If I had to raise it more, I would buy a large plastic trash can and cut it to get a band of hard plastic the depth I needed and do the same. 10 inches might be too much dirt for plastic to hold back, but six would be no problem.

Reply to
Var

I wonder if a basement egress well would solve the problem.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

replying to aemeijers, Rob wrote: What does the stepped window well look like?

Reply to
Rob

Rob posted for all of us...

DAGS

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to phelps, Michael Kowalski wrote: my window wells need extensions

Reply to
Michael Kowalski

Do you happen to have any photos of this?? Would love to see it! Been thinking of doing the same thing.

Reply to
rustinat0r