TSP versus TSP substitute

OK, went to Lowes and found both of these on the shelf. So what's the deal?

I understand that the "substitute" has no phosphates, and there are communities that properly discourage phosphate pollution. My community isn't one of these (unfortunately), but then why are both on the shelf? Is environmental protection all there is to this?

I'm not using a lot, and I frankly would just like the chemical that works best. Which does? The price is the same. I'd be happy to use the "substitute" if it doesn't work much less efficiently. If the "real thing" works better, then I'd just get it, and use it carefully.

Reply to
Doug Lassiter

If you can buy real TSP, do that; it really works well. The substitute (minus the phosphate, and probably called TS therefore) works well, too, but I still miss Soilax, which I can't find here anymore. Yes, environmental protection is the main issue as I understand it.

Reply to
KLS

Just a little odd as, if they both work, and they both cost the same, why would Lowes want to put both on the shelves? They could bump up the price on the substitute a few pennies and call it "new, improved, and environmentally responsible". Of course, in the interest of "consumer choice", they put three brands of paper towels up on their shelves for the same price as well.

In some sense, I have to assume Lowes thinks that the real TSP works better.

I bought a pound of the substitute, but I don't have any of the original left to compare it with.

Reply to
Doug Lassiter

I tried to stretch my last little box of Soilax as long as I could. I found this info on thekitchendrawer.com -

Have never seen "Soilmax" either.

Reply to
Chuck Reti

Thanks for posting this. I was shocked to realize last year that Soilax was no longer available, so reading this is helpful. Great product, Soilax, nothing else works as well. I'll keep an eye out for Soilmax, but I don't think it's available here as I would have noticed it in my recent quest for the original.

Reply to
KLS

I'm going to bump this up, because I didn't really get an answer.

Does TSP substitute work as well as a cleaner as TSP?

Reply to
Doug Lassiter

In my experience... * the substitute does not clean as well. * the substitute is not as harsh on skin * ditto re. surfaces (i.e. it doesn't degloss)

For how I use TSP, I want TSP not some kinder, gentler alternative.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Reply to