Swimming Pool Polaris

My swimming pool polaris has stopped moving. The pump appears to be working but the polaris is not working. The hole where we connect the polaris is not getting any water flowing through it. The pump was replaced a few years ago. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or what we could or should try before calling a pool person or buying another pump? Thanks....................

Reply to
trax

It's not getting any flow? Does your booster pump work independently of the main pump? Any chance a valve is shut?

I'd disconnect the pump (whole assembly) and take it to a pool supply store for testing. Be sure your power is shut off at the breaker panel first.

On my system, I'd guess the pump propeller is stuck and not allowing water to flow though the Polaris input. Since the pump motor is running it must have come loose from the propeller or that water is going some where.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

If the booster pump is running, first thing I'd do is open a connection at the pump output, turn it on and see if you have water flowing there. If not and the motor is turning, then I'd agree with Jim that the impeller is likely spun. You can probably disassemble the pump and get the appropriate replacement impeller, gaskets, seals, etc. Should be a relatively easy fix. You could probably replace the whole pump for less that it would cost for the service call to have a pool company do the work. You can find new pumps online at decent prices and to swap out the whole thing is a lot easier than repairing the pump.

And if you call a pool company there is a good chance they could wind up changing the pump too. In which case you wind up with a new pump at list, plus the service call.

Reply to
trader4

Pool service call is a minimum $90 just to come look at it here. Some are as high as $125. My booster is held onto the housing with 6 bolts and the elec. cable. All I would have to do is disconnect the 6 bolts and the cable and go to Pool Warehouse where they will fix it for free except for the parts, which are usually not cheap.

I'm not sure how the OPs is setup but it seems to me there must be a valve seperating the main pump from the booster if there is "no flow". Maybe the pump isn't priming. Maybe he just needs to clean a basket.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Except that this pump is for the polaris pool cleaner, which has to run at full speed to make the polaris work. For the main pool pump, I agree a variable speed can save 50-80% on energy usage.

Reply to
trader4

After talking to the suppliers I decided against the var speed pump. You'll have reduced water flow plus they are expensive as hell. But YMMV. We don't get much of a rebate here and I would have to jump through hoops to get it.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Reply to