Sears Electric Range Beeping Noise - F1 trouble code

While visiting an elderly relative, she said her Sears electric range

- 7 YO - 2 years out of warranty, was disconnected because it was constantly beeping. Asked her if I could look at it. After turning it on, the loud beeping started and it displayed a F1 error code.

Asked her if she had tried to get it fixed - get this - the repair guys said a quick and maybe not permanent fix would cost her $150 parts + $100 labor and only be guaranteed for 30 days - a 6 month guaranteed fix would involve replacing a circuit board at a cost of $300 plus $100 labor. Oh they said if she bought a new Sears range, they would cart off the old one for free.

Disassembled the control panel of the range - found the speaker emitting the beeping noise - cut the wire powering it - put the range back together and it is functioning perfectly after a week.

Several years ago I had the exact same thing happen to an electric range of mine - did not call the repair crowd - just snipped the power to the speaker and no problems - the range is still working today.

So it looks like the range manufacturer's have discovered another way to get into our wallets - when they try to cheat senior citizens - makes me angry. Think I will call some Sears repair people and see what they say when I ask them about the F1 trouble code.

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem.

Reply to
butch burton

responding to

eppscrcj wrote: Butch: I have the same problem and have gotten to the control panel. I am not sure about disasembling the control panel to snip the wire on the speaker>

Can you advise Charley 903.293.1156

Butch wrote:

------------------------------------- _____,,;;;`; ;';;;,,_____ ,~( ) , )~~\| |/~~( , ( )~; ' / / --`--, .--'-- \ \ ` / \ | ' ` | / \

Reply to
eppscrcj

Seems kind of irresponsible to bypass and override (what might be) safety controls:

agree it's ridiculous that it would cost hundreds to replace some dinky little circuit board, but do you really want an out-of-control heating element in your kitchen? I'm just sayin'.

Reply to
schmidtd

I agree it's ridiculous that it would cost hundreds to replace some

I've shown a lot of folks how to fix the trouble lights that come on in their automobile dashboard. Black electrical tape. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas