Russo Glass-View wood Stove

Does anyone know anything abouy the Russo Glass-View Wood Burning Stove. I bought a house that had one, in the back it has a blower, not sure if the blower works, I plugged it in and nothing, I made sure the Flu was open and in the middle postion, then tested it with some starter wood, it probably has not been use in a few years, The room got a little smokey So my question is and yes I am stupid when it comes to this, but I dont want to kill everyon in my house so anyone have any ideas on how to use the thing

Reply to
Lil Lil Shemp

There is most likely a temperature sensor that is wired to but is separate from the blower and mounted near the heating chamber that tells the blower when to stop and start. Hopefully by now your stove is heated up enough to have started the blower. If the stove seems hot but the blower still is not running, check to make sure there is power at the outlet where you plugged into. If that is ok, try to find where the sensor is and have this checked. Otherwise until you find out if the wiring and electrical components are ok, do not over heat the wood stove or it could cause other problems........ Good luck! Steve

Reply to
Steve

it probably has not been use in a few years,

I have to add a few safety considerations as I am assumimg you are not familar with the wood heat method of heating a house.......... If you are, please excuse me for assuming this.

If you have never had the need or opportunity before to use an inside wood burning stove I can't emphasize enough the hazards associated with using one. Are you certain your chimney is clean and ready for use with a wood burning stove??? What type of wood do you have to use? Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood (Pine) contains high pitch content and can overheat and lead to chimney fires. Hardwood is best (oak, maple, birch, etc.) if it has had a chance to air dry after being cut and split for at least 6 months. You should never just start a fire in the stove and walk away, it needs to be monitored closely for awhile so it either doesn't smolder or take off like a dragon. I highly recommend attaching a magnetic temperature guage to your flu pipe coming out of the stove so you know how hot your fire is all the time.

Hope this helps you out some.......... Steve

Reply to
Steve

In addition to Steve's very good suggestions, get a CO monitor for the room.

Also, make sure you have a good new solid galvanized small trash can with a tight fitt>>>

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Your home should already have AT LEAST one smoke alarm............

Keep all combustibles away from the woodstove!

Don't ever burn garbage in your wood stove!

Be sure to use good long welders leather gloves to handle the wood into the stove!

The list goes on and on and on....................

Steve A wood burning veteran of 30 years............

Reply to
Steve

It would be great if you could write back and let us know what you found out with your wood stove?????? We are just trying to be helpful and to do what we can to help solve your problem....... Steve

Reply to
Steve

If unsure of its history, I suggest having a certified chimney sweep do a safety inspection. Look on this industry site for a list:

The blower may have a snap switch (thermostat) so it only comes on when up to temperature, so it does not blow cold air.

Smoke into the room could be a flue that needs to be preheated, or a clogged rain cap mesh.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.

I was wondering the same thing... Does anyone have any information on the Russo Glass-View Wood Burning stove? I bought one from someone and nobody knows where to order parts or where to get information on this stove. The stove was manufactured in the 70's but it looks new! I need a blower for the stove. Any help on locating information on this brand of stove??

Ron Samuel snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

snipped-for-privacy@m34g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
rlsamuel

I have a Russo Wood/Coal combination stove that I purchased in about

1983, I have used it every winter since then. I burned coal in it for many years - too awhile to get the hang of that - but feeding your stove only 2 times in a 24 hour period is great. OK - information for you. The Russo Stive was manufactured by : Russo Manufacturing Corp. 87 Warren Street, Randolph MA 02368.

I don't believe that they are in business anymore by that name - They are now: Russo Products, Inc.

61 Pleasant Street Randolph, MA 02368 (781) 963-1182 snipped-for-privacy@fireplaceseast.com

I don't think that they are manufacturing those stoves anymore, but parts are available. I have a 28 page manual for mine that is quite extensive and if you contact me I can get you a copy.

The problem mentioned with smoke in the house - I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, make sure that the stove it hot - I rarely have this problem with my Russo but do have it with another stove in my basement, need to get that draft going by having the thing hot enough to suck out that smoke. The fan blowing is controlled by a thermostat so it doesn't blow cold air, get the stove hot and it it works it will turn on, assuming that the switch is on to provide power to the blower motor.

Reply to
paul9877856

Steve - open the flue all the way up when you start a fire so that you have the best possible draft to suck that smoke out, after everything is hot you can back it down some. is your russo stove in a fireplace with a flue? see if you can get a manual on that stove from:

Russo Products, Inc.

61 Pleasant Street Randolph, MA 02368 (781) 963-1182 snipped-for-privacy@fireplaceseast.com

Paul

Reply to
paul9877856

remyack had written this in response to

: Hello I have a Russo Glass view stove and need the installation codes you might have these in the 83 coal wood combo stove manual if so please let me know at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks so much for your time.

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 327622 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
remyack

remyack had written this in response to

: I'm looking for a manual for the russo glass view stove any chance you came across one please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks so much

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 327626 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
remyack

responding to

SmoknHot wrote: Paul, Can I get a copy of your manual as well? I just bought a Russo coal wood combination stove as well. Thanks in advance for any effort - Best, Wil

---------------------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
SmoknHot

Just bought a house with a Russo wood/coal stove, we have used wood stoves for many years but this one eludes us. Just had our first snow, and temps a re dropping and we can not get that thing working, too many gadgets. So my reason for writing was I was hoping I could get a copy of your manual. If s o please let us know.

Reply to
sialia1

sialia,

snipped-for-privacy@russoproducts.com

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Hi. Could I get a copy of the manual from you?

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Lombardi59

homeownershub message originally posted on January 19, 2008

Reply to
willshak

Hello Paul. I've also been hunting for a copy of the russo cw2. I'd be forever in debt if you we're able to send me a copy. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Bill

Looks like you need HELP I have had 50 years experience with wood burning

First installation must be to code all masonary stone around the unit preferably inserted into fireplace Air tight chimney best use stainless heavy gague tube all the way to the top of chimney with stainless cap

place asbestos steel plate in front near wood loading where sparks may fall

KEEP WOOD VERY DRY USE OLD RUBBER ROOFING to cover wood pile keeping it 50 ft away from the house bugs willcollect there ants and termites

NO smoke should ever be in the house burn full heat once a day for an hour to keep chimney clean also use CuSo2 once a month

cut your own wood Harbor fretght has a Manual splitter very nice and time well spent because it is slow and nobody bothers you while you split wood also electric chain saw is handy and cheap to use

have loggers drop off big stuff nobody wants it but you have to work more

stack wood on bricks off the ground to avoid rotting

My Russo takes 28 inch logs and glass view replaces TV and is peaceful no ads or news loook out the window for weather you will save oil

Reply to
adperini

Trick to get draft going stuff a sheet of newspaper up the stack and light it you will start the draft in a hurry

Reply to
adperini