Replace kit-valve & regulator NG for gas range

Hi all, we have a Kenmore Gas Range (3 years old, model#: 73221) and for some reason the oven knob seems to be wiggling kit-valve & regulator NG part (part number: WB19K10002) seems to be wiggling (not the "knob" that is wiggling, the part connecting to the knob is wiggling). I'm not sure whether we need to replace this part or not. Here are my questions:

  1. Is this part (kit-valve & regular ng) by default wiggling in nature?? Or something is wrong with it? Is there any way we could test whether this part is dead or not? Is this the part that usually go bad in a typical gas range??

  1. Is it possible that JUST the knob that need to be replaced?? Right now as the regulator is wiggling so it is difficult for us to put the knob back in place, so I don't know if the regulator is actually still in good shape or not. Any suggestion or comments?

I really don't want to just dump this gas range for a new one, as it is only 3-years-old. But a regulator part would cost $80 +s/h (see:

plus labor around $80 - $100, it would cost us around $180 or more to repair it (if it is the regulator that need to be repaired), while a new gas range currently is on sale on homedepot.com for US$299. The thing is all four burners are working great, it's just the oven that is not working. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Reply to
T. T.

buffalobill

We did this last time with the dryer, but no one want the trouble to pick it up here in my neighborhood so I don't really want to do this again..

Another thing is to unhook the gas range itself is a bit challenging to me, as it is NOT as easy as remove a electric range... by the way, generally speaking, are most of the kit-valve & regulator in a gas range that easy to break these days?? Just curious...

The four burners are working perfectly, just the oven. Any suggestion about how to further test it (if I could find the way to "lift-up" the cooktop of this gas range)...

buffalobill wrote:

Reply to
T. T.

Dear T.T., From what is described the problem is not with a valve/regulator, but with an oven thermostat, part# WB20K10008. This part costs much less, around $30. Even better, most likely you don't event need to replace it. The problem is in the thermostat assembly design flaw which causes the screws holding the regulator flange to slowly get loose because of an internal spring inside the thermostat constantly applies pressure to the flange. They should have provisioned spring washers to prevent the flange from unscrewing. In any case, this is what you need to do:

1) disconnect electric power and shut the gas supply off 2) remove all grates, burners from the cooktop 3) unscrew mounting cooktop screws (three per burner) 4) with a flat screwdriver push the clips (one on each side) between the cooktop and manifold while pulling the cooktop up. 5) lift the front of the cooktop and secure it with two stands on each side (similar to the hood of your car), you will have enough space to reach the thermostat from inside with your hand 6) remove the oven knob and unscrew the outside thermostat mounting screws hidden behind the knob 7) pull the thermostat from the inside an observe the assembly: if the flange screws are in place, simply tighten them up, otherwise try to find them inside the burner box or get new ones. You may also find that the inner spring is missing too. It will be somewhere in the burner box too 8) now you have the thermostat assembled, check how it works before mounting back, it should rotate freely when pushing and turning 9) mount the thermostat back to the oven, don't forget a piece of insulating cardboard 10) close the cooktop, place and screw the burners, connect power and gas supply The range should be operational now.
Reply to
Gosha