Best material to cover garbage bin wheels (2023 Update)

In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt. Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Replace the plastic with rubber wheels.

Reply to
Thomas

Do you have a hand truck with rubber-like or pneumatic tires?

Reply to
mike

That's what I would do - just load it up on a hand truck with good tires instead of dragging it on its own. If you don't have a hand truck, it makes sense to get one - a very useful device indeed.

EOT

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

You might be able to find similar rubber wheels in Harbor Freight or your local farm supply store. A little jury-rigging might be needed, but it's worth a shot.

Reply to
keith

If you have a lawn to the curb just roll it through the lawn. If you don't own the bin the company might not want you to modify it. If you do own it and don't have a lawn either:

A. Replace the wheels with hard rubber wheels. B. Take your trash out during the day when it won't disturb anyone.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Wheels of the correct size and rubber tired are available from most of the can manufacturers. Check the can to see who the manufacturer is and then contact them for a dealer in your area. Most of the dealers will sell tires, axles etc to anyone as repair parts. Guess on price would be about $10 per wheel

Reply to
rmorton

Prof Wonmug wrote in news:43utt5dr41u9o5jru2s2oia610enqrlc04 @4ax.com:

You could try weatherstripping.

It comes in rolls, in various widths, thicknesses and hardnesses. And it's self-adhesive on one side. Home Depot or Lowes will have it.

It might be a bit soft and not too durable, but it's worth a shot.

Reply to
Tegger

Duct Tape Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

You might find some rubber wheels at Harbor Freight that will fit it. I can imagine the sound it makes because back in the late 1980's I had a little 3 year old buddy next door who's parents gave him soft drinks containing a lot of sugar and caffeine. At five in the morning he would be on his Big Wheel zipping up and down the sidewalk outside my window. It sounded like a concrete mixer.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So you can't live with it for the 30 seconds, ONCE A WEEK, it takes to drag the bin from the house to the curb, and back again? Is this the most pressing problem you have in your life?

Reply to
mkirsch1

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap them on the wheels.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The existing wheels are 10" diameter x 2" wide with a 22" x 5/8" axle. The wheels don't have any bushings or bearings. The axles just go through a 5/8" hole in the plastic in the wheel.

I couldn't find anything at Harbor Freight, but I did find a few other sources.

These guys have all kinds of replacement parts for carts of various types. They have whole kits including two wheels, 18" axle (too short for me), washers, and cotter pins. They have fully pneumatic, semi-pneumatic, and molded rubber. I don't need or want fully pneumatic. The semi-pneumatic looks good. I assume this means unpressurized with a thicker tire and smaller air space. The solid rubber only comes in 8" diameter.

The semi-pneumatic kit is just $34:

Curiously, individual tires are $22 each.

This is a pair of 300 lb test fully pneumatic tires for $16. If they were semi-pneumatic, I would be sold.

This is a semi-pneumatic, but the bore is only 1/2". $11 for one.

These guys also have lots of wheels, but I couldn't find any that looked to be the right size. They also tended to be more expensive.

This looks to be a very nice tire. At $65, it should be.

About the right size (10" x 2"), but none with 5/8 axle. Most have a

3/4"

Cost $20-$50/wheel and I need 6.

Up to $100/wheel.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Yes, I have a hand truck, but it's in the garage so I'd have to go get it and then put it back. Also, I have three bins (garbage plus recycling) to put out. I can make it in 2 trips now. With the hand truck, I'd need three.

I want better wheels!!!

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

No-- you need a 'lowboy' wagon that hold all three carts- with whatever cheap wheels you like. Then you'll save two trips down your driveway every week and eliminate the noise.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The manufacturer is Toter

The person I talked to was arrogant and annoyed to have been bothered by a mere resident. She said that those are the "standard" wheels and seemed offended that anyone would even suggest replacing them. She even suggested that I might be breaking the law, since they are owned by the city.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

(heh). I thought of that (first thought, actually), but I wonder if (a) it would provide very much cushioning or noise damping without several layers and (b) how long it would last.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Well, it was. But now it's trying to tolerate jerks.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Thanks. It is partly for the benefit of the neighbors, but mainly for my wife. I usually take them out about 6am when I get up. she is still sleeping and the bedroom window is right above the driveway. I've taken to taking them out the night before since the new driveway.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

  • 1

Even use matching colors ..