Portable Dehumidifier Recommendation needed

Looking for a recommendation for a quiet portable dehumidified. Had a Sears unit which was noisy and failed early. Currently have a quieter Frigidaire unit (30 pints?), but after a few years the compressor quit. Anyone have first hand experience with anything better?

Reply to
Pointer

On 3/7/2010 6:07 PM Pointer spake thus:

Have no suggestions for which units are better, but having seen one in operation at a client's house (don't know which one, sorry), I do have one recommendation: get one that has an automatic shutoff.

I found it incredible that the unit my client has kept on going even though the tank was not only full, but overflowing.

Seems like all it would take would be a float or some kind of sensor to avoid this.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Years ago I got a sears, the following year annother sears, it broke right away and the replacement wasnt as good as the previous years model, bigger and noisier. Last year I got one from HD, it didnt put out even 50% of the rating so I returned it. It seems with china making them models are never the same year to year in quality. If I had to buy one now id be lost, I would get an energy star model from the place with the best return policy. The only one I like is the oldest sears I bought. CR rates them for efficency and noise, but quality seems to be a crapshoot.

Reply to
ransley

Every dehum I've seen has had a float in the back. Perhaps the person's catch tank in the back wasn't quite installed right.

My advice would have been to either put the dehum on a couple boards over the sump pump or laundry sink. Or use the drain hose option. It's a chore to keep emptying the catch bin in the back when you can set up a dehum to drain into a sink or sump pump, and not have to tend it every day.

As to quality brand, I don't have any advice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had a Sears one that had it's first failure after 4 years. The blower motor burned out. Found a new one for $35, so figured it was worth fixing. That got me one more season of use. Now it's totally unresponsive and it's not a fuse. Most likely it's the main control board which has power, but isn't doing anything. I was going to do some simple probing of the board, see if it's anything simple like a power supply issue, etc. But it's about 95% that it's going in the scrap heap this time.

Also, at least this Sears unit is made by LG, so I'd stear away from them for sure.

Reply to
trader4

All of mine have been auto shut off even though I run a drain line to the shower.

Reply to
Pointer

I used the link above to research dehumidifiers. Look under energy factor to find the spreadsheet of all units sold in the States. There is a wide range in efficiency of these things.

Mine is a built-in unit - Santa Fe from Therma sTor - going on 4 years and still working fine.

Reply to
Reno

I had no drains of any kind in the basement of my previous house. Didn't need a sump pump since the floor was at or above street level.

Reply to
krw

responding to

elfriedamiller wrote: thanks