No Interest from Contractors, Small Project

Hi,

I need to replace one side of a wooden deck, which was damaged in a storm. I've called 3 different contractors / carpenters, found in phone book. Every time, I get an answering machine, leave my message, and get no response at all from the carpenter. Obviously they are not interested.

I am loathe to resort to the "handyman" types. They might answer the phone right away, but I'm afraid of their quality.

What to do? Keep calling the real contractors / carpenters until someone responds ?

Also, I noted a listing in the phone book for a "contractor referral service". Does that sound legit ? Ideally I could call this "contractor referral service", I suppose, tell them I'm looking for a carpenter to do a small project, and they can refer me to a couple.

Thanks

Reply to
utilitarian

I've had good results using Angie's List.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

if you are afraid of quality pull a permit it gets you a free inspection, and have in the contract thet you dont pay until its inspected, then just get the cheapest dirt cheap bid. Permits are cheap insurance and free inspections have alot of benifits few use, they protect you against shoddy work.

Reply to
ransley

I feel your pain. BTDT, got the T-shirt. They either don't call back, or after the 'free' estimate, they send me an absurdly high write-up, for simple carpentry jobs like replacing some panel siding, or reskinning my dry-rotted deck. They clearly Don't Want The Job.

About all I can recommend, and what I am trying to develop the motivation to do (no SWMBO here to nag me), is start calling the ads in the local free paper for the 'semi-retired' guys, or the guys who say 'licensed and insured' in their ads. A good carpenter with a day job is simply not going to be available. Trick is finding a good one with time on his hands due to the still-poor (around here) new construction market. For specialties, you can find moonlighting guys willing to do small jobs on evenings and weekends. But for basic outdoor carpentry, they pretty much need to be available during daylight hours.

Reply to
aemeijers

craigs list but generally you are right, it's going to be a handyman sort not a regular carpenter. Job is too small.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

responding to

sarahdann wrote: COMPLETELY disagree that Angie?s List is a good thing. I work for a company that does home remodeling. A third party tried to hire my employer to do work on a house that they don?t own. When my employer stated that for the company to do the work they would have to have authorization in writing from the home owner the person became irate. Then the person requested that my employer deliver building materials for a $25 fee (normal delivery from the store in question is $75). In the interest of good-will my employer did that and then just out of pure spite because my employer refused to do work on a property without proper authorization this person went on Angie?s List completely slamming my employer. My employer NEVER knew Angie?s List even existed and has an ?A+? rating with the BBB for over 15 years. Long story short, Angie?s List is a way for crack-pot type people who hold grudges to pay money and then attempt to ruin others when they don?t get their way.

utilitarian wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
sarahdann

I'm still wondering why there wasn't more agreement with the "just do it yourself" post. It's a replacement of damaged wood. Not like there isn't already a pattern to follow.

Reply to
Michael B

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 06:32:56 -0800 (PST), Michael B wrote Re Re: No Interest from Contractors, Small Project:

Some people just don't like to do that kind of (or any kind of) hands-on repairs. They don't have the tools, experience or interest. There's nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I'm reasonably handy but needed help with a project. Found a handyman in the yellow pages, checked with Consumer Affairs to see that he was licensed as a home improvement contractor.

He showed up, did good work, knew what he was doing... I wouldn't immediately discount handymen. I'm happy with the one I chose.

Reply to
Shaun Eli

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:17:22 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli wrote Re Re: No Interest from Contractors, Small Project:

+1 on that. I've done the same thing and been happy with the results.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

I hired a couple of 'handy men' from where I work. They do mechanical work in the plant, but do lots of house type work for people. Most are very happy with their work and so was I.

One place I was not very happy with was a place that does floor covering and carpets. They had been in business for many years,but the work looked like this was their first job.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery