New weil Mclain steam boiler not producing pressure

I have a problem. My new New weil Mclain steam boiler is not producing pressure, or very minimal. My old boiler was a burnham (went after only 9 yrs but not covered since I wasn't the original owner!)and was around

217,000 BTU;s. Local utility and another plumber said I didn't need that mucj. Got a Weil McLAin EC-50 which is 175,000 BTU. Running VERY often. I can get new burner assembly (which I think is cheap) to go from 7 to 8 burners and bring me up to 200,000 BTU. What else could be the problem? Some people say to fluch lines??? HELP!!!!

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 324297 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
howie01

New boiler, call the installer for his opinion. What is pressure, possibly only 14oz is needed if installed and sized right, old boiler may have had to high a pressure cut off, it heats your home, right.

"They said" you didn`t need as big a boiler, only a written load calculation says what you really need and steam is sized differently than water heat I have been told. With steam you dont "guess" on most issues like you can with other types of heat.

There are alot of idiot steam men out there even me a steam boiler owner. My pros have had my steam boiler set to 3-5lb for 50 yrs when I recently found out 14oz is more efficent and easier on the boiler.

is where you should post for real decent, steam pros. Alt Hvac is the "drunken hack, we insult you, show".

There are books written by the owner of the heating help.com site I have heard are the best for understanding steam completely. Im just guesing here, but cycling often, could be your thermostat set for minimal temp swing, to low a cut off pressure if it still calls for heat when it shuts down, a minor or another major issue. Is it still calling for heat when it turns off, maybe pressure gauge is bad, what pressure does it shut off at.

After having a steam boiler for years, I have just found out I know nothing about it and my techs don`t know what they should either, they know how to fix them but not set them up for efficency andf proper heat. My neighbor just had a steam boiler replaced 4 weeks ago and said it is filling when firing then is way to high when shut off, he said he owes $5000, and it might take near that to install pumps and a tank, or whatever, to fix the issue of a poor instal, and he got the best guy he could find here in Chicago.

My boiler pro had to double the expansion tank size on a HW boiler that overpressured when hot, on his instal, he ate that cost, but only because I owed him money from a different repair job and he has done hundreds of instals and knows his stuff. Go post at heatinghelp, and get a book.

Reply to
ransley

----------------------------------------------------- We need more info. What pressure are you running at? if the set cut in / cut out pressures are not right then this will happen. Next, have you looked at the sight glass while it is doing this cycling? If the water level is dipping it may be cycling on the LWCO! Next, are you staying warm? If you paid to have this done all them and tell them before your warranty is up. Sounds like some simple adjustments.

------------------------------------- J.P. Avanti Services HVAC, Steam and closed loop Hydronic heating. In the service field for 25 years.

Reply to
avantiservices

That post is 25 months old, he died.