Kitchenaid washing machine stops mid-cycle

I have 14-year-old Kitchenaid washing machine that has recently started to stop in the middle of a wash. I know it's old, but I don't want to toss it yet. I replaced the timer with another used one (maybe the problem) and the symptoms were the same. It will start fine, then stop when switching to a different part of the cycle. It will start up again 10-15 minutes later or sometimes if I click the timer on/off. Yesterday my wife told me it did it to her, but when she pulled some of the wet clothes out it started again. Is there some kind of over temperature sensor or something else like that that would cause the washer to need a little "rest time" during a cycle?

Sometimes it will run through a complete cycle with no problem.

Reply to
Homeslice

Of course not. Money doesn't grow on trees, and it also costs society to dispose of and make new. Mine is 27 years old and works fine.

(I did replace the pump once, but I broke open the old one and could find nothing wrong. Now I think that the discharge hose was kinked. When I moved the washer away from the wall, the kink went away. Shame on me.)

Which function is it leaving, and which is it supposed to start?

This one I don't know.

Reply to
mm

responding to

Etib2 wrote: What fixed it?? I have this problem...

Homeslice wrote:

Reply to
Etib2

The Kitchenaid washer is basically a Whirlpool direct drive washer, aka Roper, Kenmore, Admiral, Whirlpool, Estate, etc. I am guessing that your washer won't go into the spin/drain mode at the appropriate time. The symptom is a washer full of water. Replace the lid switch to fix this.

Reply to
AE Todd

replying to AE Todd, FyrMdc7118 wrote: I have the same issue. Thought lid switch & replaced it. Still not working.

Reply to
FyrMdc7118