Kitchen sink recommendations

Hello,

We'll be replacing our kitchen sink soon, and my wife wants an undermount stainless. She's shopping price, and I'm wondering about what we should be looking for in a sink?

How does stainless compare to porcelain?

If we go with stainless, are there certain "specs" we should be looking for? If so, what specs would be better?

What are the pro's and con's of undermount vs top mount? We'll probably have stone countertops, and we'll be using a disposal.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
mrsgator88

In my opinion there is no comparison to the look of an udermount sink if your talking about Granite counters. A few things to be aware of make sure the sink comes with a cut out pattern ( it Should) Some installers charge extra to make a pattern. Some of the sinks are deeper so you might have to change the plumbing in the wall ( lower the trap adaptor) Stainless or Porcelain there both good . The stainless is my perseverance just like the look and we did our whole kitchen wit stainless appliances. The stainless sink have come a long way for looks and quality. The udermount sinks do cost more . You need to go out and check them out. I know a lot of people find the sink they want and then buy them on e-bay.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

maximum size for a turkey platter and maximum depth for a soup or lobster pot. its integral drainboard must pitch into the sink and to its drain and be rinseable with a sprayer of a high rising single handle delta fixture. big enough to wash an infant or 20 lb dog. stainless can be waterspotted and noisy. go heavy gauge of any material. all subject to what your wife likes, have her try out the sinks at your friends and neighbors because the right choice will last a lifetime.

Reply to
buffalobill

Undermount is definitely the way to go, as it allows easier cleanup of the countertops by just sweeping water or debris into the sink. Personally, I prefer the look of an enamel sink. I had a stainless and switched to white. I find the nice bright white warm look preferable to the cold look of stainless. I also find it easier to see things I'm working on, like peeling vegs, against the white background. It's also quieter than the stainless it replaced, but the stainless was a cheaper one, better/heavier ones are likely quieter too. But all that is personal preference, either can be good choices.

I'd also go with a deeper bowl. That gives you more room and cuts way down on splashback when you are washing things. As far as bowl type, I like the 2 bowl type which are split about 2/3, 1/3. That gives you one large bowl and one bowl that while smaller, is still fine for a backup sink. IMO, the most useless sinks are the 2 bowl ones that have one big bowl and one small/narrow bowl. That bowls is actually intended for a disposal bowl, with the disposal going under it. However, I much prefer having the disposal under the main bowl, because that's where I do veg prep and can just send the remains down the disposal. So, in my use, the little bowl just took up space.

Check out the Kohler Executive Chef and the Marsala, which are 2 bowls,

2/3, 1/3, and deep. I went with the Marsala, which has a single faucet hole back of the middle divider and another hole in the corner. That leaves the area at the back rear of the bowls, which normally would be taken up by faucets free, so they make the bowls go back another 3 inchs or so. That's the style I like best.
Reply to
trader4

If you have a dishwasher, go with the biggest rectagular, single-basin, undermount stainless steel sink that will fit in your cabinet. For example:

(or an equivalent to the Blanco magnum series)

However, 8 or 9 inches of depth (top to bottom) should be adequate to prevent back-splatter. I'm not sure if deeper sinks might pose reach-down ergonomic problems.

There's no reason to have more than one basin if you have a dishwasher and you'll love being able to take advantage of all that uninterrupted space. I have one and I can fit in cookie sheets, buckets, big vases, refrigerator shelves & drawers, those plastic tote bins.... it's great.

(You might also want to consider a gooseneck faucet for more clearance yet)

Reply to
yellowbirddog

There is a very good reason and that's to have a second sink available. In the middle of cooking, when the main sink has either pots, dishes, scraps from food prep, etc in it, it's very convenient to have a second sink available to use. A good example is using it for a collander, while the other sink has stuff in it. I do this frequently. I also use it to let pots or containers dry that aren't going in the dishwasher.

Reply to
trader4

Put your dishes on one half of the big single basin sink and put your colander in the the other half or use a suspended over-the-sink strainer. It's not difficult.

Again, there's no need for more than one basin, but there's always need for the biggest basin you can get. A single basin delivers this.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I missed this statement the first time. You're kidding, right? You let clean containers dry in the dirty bottom of a sink? Gross. Besides, a place with a faucet above it isn't exactly the spot to dry things.

Let things dry on a clean, sanitary counter, or invest in a dish towel.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Yeah, right, and you're the one that thinks it's gross using a spare clean sink bowl to place pots or containers in to dry? But it's ok to put a collander full of spaghetti in a dirty sink LOL

Look, this is personal preference. The OP asked for opinions and of course they are going to vary. I happen to like a two bowl deep sink, split 2/3, 1/3. The deeper bowl that goes all the way back, an extra 3 inchs back, compared to your single bowl sink, is plenty big enough for me.

I don't give a damn if you want a one bowl sink. Your trailer probably came outfitted that way. But to tell the rest of us that we're wrong because we happen to like two bowl sinks is crass. If people didn't like two bowl sinks, manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell them. Yet we all see plenty of them being sold. I also frequently see them on home improvement shows on TV and lots of them on cooking shows, with pro chefs using them. So get a life and get over it.

Reply to
trader4

If your colander is designed correctly, pasta should never see any backwash. The bottom off the colander should have bottom clearance in other words. If yours doesn't, having two basins won't prevent contamination. Over-the-sink-strainers also do not see backwash.

My trailer? You need to calm down.

I understand that some double basin sinks still sell, but that doesn't mean they're optimal. Many people just keep doing the same things as pre-dishwasher era methods because they've "always done it that way", but as you've demonstrated, there's no reason to have more than one basin. You tried to come up with examples for reasons to put up with smaller basin capacity and I showed how it's not necessary.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I prefer more of a compromise. A large bowl and a smaller bowl with the garbage disposal. I find that even with a dishwasher, if the sink is big enough, someone will leave a dish in it. With the small bowl, this is less likely.

Also for stainless sinks, if you find the thinner ones noisy, you can apply a patch of something like "dynamat" to the underside to quiet the vibrations. This stuff is usually used for car audio installations to make sheet metal vibrate less.

Reply to
PipeDown

Why have two basins? I'm not following your comment about someone leaving a dish in a big single basin.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

That's because you have a bug up your ass and obviously have a problem with anyone that prefers a two bowl sink and doesn't go along with your preferences. I gave you several examples of why I prefer one. So did Pipedown and his reasoning is perfectly clear. It's personal preference, get over it.

Reply to
trader4

Once again, you need to calm down. I don't think you can speak for someone else or read Mr. Pipe's mind.

If you have a reason for putting up with a smaller basin, then state it. So far, you've yet to come up with an example that I couldn't refute.

Reply to
yellowbirddog
1st saw this on HGTV. Home Depot has one on display. A double sink but the center divider is lowered. This allows you to fill both sinks to soak and wash larger pans, cookie sheets etc.
Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I would think that would get in the way still. For an item that won't go in the dishwasher, put a tiny amount of dish soap directly on the item from a pump dispenser, and scrub it with the water that will be held by the concave shape of the pan, dish, bowl, etc.

It takes less water, you don't have to wait for the sink to fill up, you get a higher concentration of soap for less, and you don't have a permanent obstacle in the middle of your sink in the way of a divider.

It's also a benefit to have everything drain into the disposal, so there's no need to worry about clogs or to transfer slop from one drain to another.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I have given you reasons for preferring a double bowl sink and so has Mr. Pipe, but you're obviously not interested in listening, cause you think you know what's best for everyone. It's personal preference. Get a life and get over it!

So far, you've yet to come up with an example that I couldn't

Reply to
trader4

Don't speak for Mr. Pipe, as he's yet to explain himself. I've listened to your reasons and I've given refutations each time. Do you disagree?

BTW, having "preferences" does not mean that debating the reasons behind those preferences are off-limits. If you're that sensitive, then maybe this forum isn't for you.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I don't speak for him. He was very clear in what he stated. Are you that stupid?

I can live with people having different preferences, but clearly you can't. You're the one claiming that there is no valid reason to want a two bowl sink and dismissing everyone that likes them as if we were dummies. It should be obvious from all the 2 bowl sinks around, that lots of people like them and are very happy with them. Retailers sell lots of them, high end kitchen designers use them, you can see them in fancy kitchens on TV, in cooking shows used by pro chefs. I see them most of the time in million dollar houses. I gave you reasons I like them, so did Mr. Pipe, but you rant on that we are all wrong. You probably think that everyone should only like your choice of car orflavor of ice cream too, don;t you?

As I told you, I don;t give a damn what kind of sink you like. It's personal preference. Get a life, get over it!

Reply to
trader4

If you insist on speaking for Mr. Pipe, why don't you explain what he meant? I double dare ya. This should be good.

You just regurgitated your tired line about "preferences" because you cannot defend your reasons. That's fine. You're obviously unable to carry on a calm, rational discussion.

Reply to
yellowbirddog