Icynene Versus Polyurethane Spray Foam Insulation

Hi Gang

We are about to use the blue polyurethane spray foam insulation in our garage ceiling. A contractor happened to mention Icynene as an alternative. I know little about both of these other than they are much better than traditional insulation (pink and roxal).

Can someone offer your advice about these 2 products?

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy

A quick look at the Icynene site finds a table in which they compare their product with others and reveal that the R value is no better than fiberglass and considerably less than polyurethane (their numbers, not mine). The same table also claims that blown in fiberglass contains formaldehyde, so take everything they say with a big dose of salt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The chemist in me got curious and I find Icyene is just another polyurethane:

cannot speak to the physical properties but foamed insulations are costly compaired to fiber glass.

Reply to
Frank

You need to research price, R value and stability. Foams go from about R 3 - R 7.2, some foam deteriorates in open spaces like UFFI

Reply to
ransley

Again, the chemist in me says that fumes in the garage will accelerate deterioration. A home owner product that has not stood the test of time should be avoided if you plan to stay in the house over 20 years.

Reply to
Frank

Andy wrote in news:51ec920b-71f5-4eff-9a17- snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

And harder to pronounce too.

Reply to
Red Green

responding to

Marcus wrote: This is an incredible Investment! These guys insulated my house with spray foam and wow!! They said that I would get 40% savings?. I?m getting 54% savings seriously! That?s s ROI of 26%! Check it out for a free quote

Marcus

Spam-hole.

RicodJour