Honda lawn mower valve problem

I have one of the new overhead valve Honda lawn mowers. Recently, it has been not starting and pu-ing at a low audible sound when you pull the cord to start the motor-the motor of course not starting. I took the valve cover off and sure enough I had a stuck valve. I then took the cap off the valve and spring and the pulled on the valve end with vise-grips.......sure enough it freed up....I put it all back together and it started right up. This whole event has happened now three times. On the third time that it happened, I went in to put on the valve end and cracked off the end. O my god, now what do I do? In studying the motor, it looks as though you have to take the whole thing apart to change the valve! Big job? I suppose I need a shop manual to proceed? Any help here would be appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
mthoffman

You've done enough hacking on the poor motor. Take it to a Honda shop and let them do it right. The valve stuck for a reason and you don't have the tools or knowledge to correct the problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Mike,

You have a fairly new honda, in my opinion this should not happen. Hondas have a reputation for being almost bullet proof, which is why they cost so much.

There is a saying that goes something like "if you accidently kick a honda while walking past, it will start"

I would start by making a fuss about your Honda to the manufacturer, maybe they will do something for you to help preserve thier fine reputation.

Reply to
AussieRich

responding to

knucklebuster wrote: I got one of these mowers for free because the guy didn't know why it wouldn't start. I discovered a stuck intake valve on it. Got the valve unstuck easily just by tapping on it then lubricating it. The mower ran for an hour and then the valve stuck again with new oil in it. I think these engines have a common problem with this from what I've been reading. Anyway, I changed the oil to synthetic and haven't had the problem since. I'm referring to the GCV160 engine.

Reply to
knucklebuster

You don't have a dent in the valve cover do you? That sticks out and it is easy to bump and dent it enough to interfere with the valve.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just pull the head. It won't be as bad as you think. Do both valves.

Hank

Reply to
Hank