Frogtape

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Darn! I thought it was something used to repair a Frenchman. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

hi

Reply to
Zac

Kinda hard NOT to bleed under a textured surface!

Still, when using blue tape (with the wax coating) on a smooth surface, running butt of the handle of your 97-in-one tool over the tape causes the wax to slightly melt and make a better seal.

Reply to
HeyBub

ribbit

Reply to
mm

------------------------------------- Of all the painting tapes on the market, frogtape is the best.

Reply to
ErikErik

It looks good, I was just wondering if anyone here has actually *used* it. So we have a total of two that might use it! (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I have had good luck with regular painter's tape. I tape the area off and then put a thin coat of clear glaze along the edges of the tape. The glaze bleeds under the tape just like paint, but it is clear so you don't see it. The glaze seals the tape. I let it dry and then paint over it with latex.

While it takes an extra step, you end up with a clean razor edge line, even on a textured wall.

Reply to
Ike

I tried it. I won't be buying it again. It still bled through.

Reply to
mike

Doesn't that stick the tape to the wall, making a mess when you pull it off?

Reply to
krw

Not if you don't get it on too thick. If you do you can run a razor blade along the edge to get you through a thick spot.

Reply to
Ike

But won't the glaze leak under the tape? ...sticking it to the paint? I always have problems pulling the paint off underneath.

Reply to
krw

The glaze is _suppose_to_ leak under the tape. That is why it leaves a clean edge when you put the paint over the glaze. The paint cannot leak under the tape because the glaze already has. And no, I have not had a problem with the tape pulling up the glaze and the original paint. I suppose it could be an issue if the original paint is ready to peal off anyway. But then you would have the same problem with FrogTape.

Reply to
Ike

Only if you eat ten rolls a day for 2 hundred years.

Reply to
BobR

I haven't tried FrogTape. I have tried the blue painter's tape, which does leak and does pull up paint under it. It's not an issue of "original", it's usually new paint that gets damaged. It takes paint a month to cure properly. For a week it's quite fragile. Having a room torn up for a month waiting for paint to dry doesn't sit well with SWMBO. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Even the blue tape has different "adhesion level" [s].

"...ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces – 2080

Designed specifically for delicate surfaces such as freshly painted walls (at least 24 hours old).."

Marked by orange or white wrappings / roll core...

Oren