Drilling in tight space?

I'm installing some kiddie latches in kitchen cabinets, and am having a hard time drilling. I'm trying to drill in frame around one of the drawers, but there's no space to position the drill, unless I drill the holes at an angle, which doesn't work well.

The right angle drills I've seen to rent are too long at the end to do any good. I bought a cheap-o flexible drilling shaft from Home Depot a couple days ago, but I having spun it on the drill with a bit attached I'm almost certain it's going to wobble all over the place.

There are some right angle drill attachments for sale on the web, but a lot of the reviewers say they're crap.

Anyone with a suggestion?

TIA

Reply to
woger151

Use the flex shaft before you go criticizing it. You'll only need to drill a few holes, the angle is fairly shallow and you'll drill at low speed. There won't be a problem.

RicodJour

BTW, you're supposed to hold the end of that flex shaft to keep it from wobbling all over the place.

RicodJour

All you need to do is get the hole started. I doubt the latch screws are big enough to split the wood or give you a problem screwing by hand.

Tap a nail (or drywall screw, which is usually pointier) to start the hole then with stready pressure you should be able to rive the screws for the latches.

Or try an old fashioned awl...

You can also buy right angle adaptors of varying quality...

DerbyDad03

Use self tapping screws but then you'll need a right angle screwdriver.

Reply to
LSMFT

responding to

jasonstrent070 wrote: as you said the drill i too long and therefore it is not suited to your drilling need. mainly the problem is using the wrong drill or maybe the angle itself. try to slowly figuring out where should those holes need to be place and be drilled. using some adhesive or other attaching gadgets could be a solution for it.

woger151 wrote:

-------------------------------------

_ _ _ _ | |_ | |__ (_) ___ (_) ___ _ __ ___ _ _ | __|| '_ \\ | |/ __| | |/ __| | '_ ` _ \\ | | | | | |_ | | | || |\\__ \\ | |\\__ \\ | | | | | || |_| | \\__||_| |_||_||___/ |_||___/ |_| |_| |_| \\__, | |___/ _ _ ___ (_) __ _ _ __ __ _ | |_ _ _ _ __ ___ / __|| | / _` || '_ \\ / _` || __|| | | || '__|/ _ \\ \\__ \\| || (_| || | | || (_| || |_ | |_| || | | __/ |___/|_| \\__, ||_| |_| \\__,_| \\__| \\__,_||_| \\___| |___/

Reply to
jasonstrent070

Go to oldest hardware store in town, and see if they still have any Yankee (or knockoff) hand push drills. Like a ratcheting screwdriver, but with a drill on the end. Only spot where they might not fit is in the center of the frame rail above a drawer. May need to get better kid-proof latches, with brackets that wrap around the rail and are screwed in from behind.

Personally, I've never seen one of those that a kid couldn't open, once they get to be 2 or so. I'd just move all the poisons and sharps Way Up High (or out in the garage) for a couple years, and not worry about it. Toddlers explore- that is what they do. It's in the hardwiring- they are looking for places to hide. Hiding, being cute, and screaming real loud, are the only 3 defenses they have.

If you MUST have a kid-safe cabinet, a 2-door cabinet with loop-style pulls and a bike lock through the handles always works. They also used to sell light-sensitive alarms to put in drawers and cabinets, that start squealing about 5 seconds after drawer is opened. About the size a a half-scale hockey puck. Haven't looked for them lately.

Reply to
aemeijers

I bought and used a right angle drill adaptor years ago and it worked just fine for one inch holes to run electrical cable in joists. Just run it slow on large holes. In your case with a tiny bit, it will work just fine. Of course, it all depends on what you buy. Get it at Harbor Freight and it will be dead after one use, buy a Craftsman or at least a Black and Decker and it should last awhile. I got mine at Ace hardware, I dont recall the brand, it might be an Ace brand, or B&D. I cant remember ???

Reply to
jw