Cutting one granite tile

I'm building a small granite tile (~ quarter inch thick) counter top and need to cut just one (18") tile. I'd rather not rent a tile saw for this.

Suggestions? I don't mind this taking some extra effort or burning up some discs. I have the usual assortment of tools.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Don't know about big box but every tile place I know will do it for a nominal charge.

Reply to
George

If you bought the tile in a big box store they will usually cut it for free. If you didn't buy it there, the guy might still cut it if you kick him a few bucks gratuity.

RicodJour

I'll give it a try. A bought it at a builders surplus store that always has a lot of tile, but no provision for cutting. Gorgeous Golden Tiger Granite that they insisted on selling for $2.99 SF although it was marked $4.50.

Just looking at this:

and this:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I think you can con someone local into cutting it for you and that is your best option.

I would not attempt is with an angle grinder as the tool is very hard to control. You could buy a dry diamond blade for your circ saw or even use the abrasive disc.

If you must buy a toy, I strongly recommend this one:

This little guy is powerful for its size. I even cut two inch pavers half through at a time using it. Laid up a whole patio that way.

Reply to
Colbyt

Get a diamond or abrasive 7 1/4" blade from Harbor Freight and use it in your sidewinder saw. Lesser tools won't cut in one pass and hence might be more troublesome.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Last time I did this I marked the tiles and the local tile place cut them for 25 cents each.

That was a while ago but even with inflation that's cheaper than a saw blade.

Reply to
TimR

Well, it is nice and possible. I.ve read about it on

tilemaster999