9v battery overheats

What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing away the CO1 detector for the summer months, I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Shorted from something else in the pocket?

Did you have coins or keys in the pocket? Probably the terminals shorted on the metal and turned into a resistance heater.

uh oh, better check your Johnson for two red marks about the size and distance apart of 9v batteries terminals...

needle dick?
KingFish wrote:

Dagger of love.
TDD
Don Phillipson wrote:

water and laundry soap leaving some sort of conductive residue in your clothes?
-- aem sends...
Don Phillipson wrote:

What pants were you wearing?

Touched something else metal. Maybe even a grommet holding the pocket seam on the inside. I have even had 1.5v. batteries short on my keys.
Man, they get hot.
Steve
On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:40:59 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

Keys or change in your pocket shorted it out.