9v battery overheats

What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing away the CO1 detector for the summer months, I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors onto the stone steps, cold this morning.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Shorted from something else in the pocket?

Reply to
KC

Did you have coins or keys in the pocket? Probably the terminals shorted on the metal and turned into a resistance heater.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

uh oh, better check your Johnson for two red marks about the size and distance apart of 9v batteries terminals...

Reply to
William Munny

needle dick?

Reply to
KingFish

Dagger of love.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dead short. Exposed rivet or a coin in your pocket, maybe? Or is your water and laundry soap leaving some sort of conductive residue in your clothes?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

What pants were you wearing?

Reply to
RickMerrill

Touched something else metal. Maybe even a grommet holding the pocket seam on the inside. I have even had 1.5v. batteries short on my keys.

Man, they get hot.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Keys or change in your pocket shorted it out.

Reply to
clare