9v. battery disposal

Page 2 of 3
Someone drooled:

The BATTERY may hot get hot, but whatever gets between the contacts can. Take some steel wool and put it on a 9v battery's terminals. Oooooooooooo.
There's lots of little things in the garbage that they can contact with. Foil. Gum wrappers. Food wrappers. Cans. Just like the hose in the yard, if there's one TINY thing the hose can get caught on, it heads for it like the hose has a brain.
I am going to do some reading and Googling, and see if I can get some stats on battery caused fires.

Still, by your own words, it is not definitely 100%, and when you multiply that out, it comes out to a definite number of incidents and fires.
Steve

My experience has shorted alkalines getting plenty burning hot.

Usually - only usually!
Actual fire rates are low enough to produce nationwide data saying "low on causes of fires", and battery manufacturers actually do produce products that allow them to make money in the litigious USA.
However, as catastrophic as a fire can easily be, I like to reduce risks where I can without going too far out of my way.

They still don't know what caused the Hindenberg fire. I can remember in my lifetime numerous personal incidents and those in the news where fires were started by the darndest things. Cat knocked over candle, hamster chewed wire and spontaneously combusted, stuff like that.
I love people who say it can't happen. I love to stay from them.
Steve
For a 9 volt the load doesn't even need to be resistive. Just short the pins together with a piece of wire. If the battery is not already totally dead it will be in a few seconds.
Thank you, sir, for giving me the first short definitive answer. You have restored my confidence in Usenet! I shall now fashion a jumper from a piece of copper wire and a couple of alligator clips.
Now, wasn't that hard?
Steve
Why go through all that work? Use a penny or other metal coin.
Or take two batteries and clip them to each other. Big short.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not true - it can heat up over almost a minute and stay hot for a while. It is also not discharged as effectively while getting bubbles of gas or steam.
The battery is dead or "fairly dead" if it does not heat up from a sustained short.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking from an engineer point of view. You have to use a resistive load, and put that in parallel with a VOM so you know when it's really dead.
I've got a dozen or so batteries I've got home, hate to throw them out. Cause they still contain power. Somday I'll make a rig to dump them into a couple nicads, so I can use the power for something else. It's not a lot of amp hours, but I hate to throw them away.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That was the point, S. I don't want to toss them into the trash, have them start a fire, and have it end my life or someone else's.
Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a lot?
Steve

is pretty remote. I gotta admit I thought that too. But I guess it's possible. Maybe with some fuel?

Like the stuff in a trash can? All it takes is for the contacts to short out on a tin can. (hope the tin can dates me) But really shorting out on most any metal would get it hot. They are fire starters and used on special effects along with just a little wiring and steel wool. Contact. Steel wool glows red hot. You got ignition. Now run like hell.
Steve

S's point is right there on top his head. I have him filed. You'll have to admit, he could have pared his statement, expounded on it to grace us with his eloquence, or just passed. Isn't the point of the group to TALK about things?
Steve
No, apparently the point of the group is to worry about shit that doesn't matter. You've proven that to some great length here.

fires?! Amazing.
You have GOT to be kidding right? How is tossing a 9v battery into a pile of paper and garbage gonna start a fire.? And if you're really THAT worried about it, then take them out and sledge hammer them into little bits and leave them lay on the street. OR throw them in a dumpster behind the local quik trip. DUH!

QUICK TRIP DUMPSTER FIRE RASH; ARSON SUSPECTED by Fulla H. Ottair F. U. News service; all rights reserved. No part of this story may be retransmitted in any form without written consent of the service and of the author.
Pantsadowna Iowa. A small town where not much happens. But the local fire chief has been scratching his head, and wondring. Jose Nozzlnut, the local chief has been running his equipment and volunteers ragged the last two weeks. Dumpster fire after dumpster fire has left the town low on resources. Chief Nozzlnut says the year's fuel budget has been spent, and it's not even Memorial Day.
Chief Nozzlnut was talking to reporters, when a fireman came up and asked "Should we roll up the hose, Jose?" The reply "Give er another squirt, you nozzle nut", said Chief Nozzlnut.
The chief was talking to reporters when a man approached and threw in a bag. We interviewed the person, a S. Barker, from Flametown, Iowa. "I'm just disposing some nine volt batteries, as instructed on Usenet", Barker tells reporters. "Been disposing of a couple dozen batteries, in Quck Trip dumpsters all over town."
Even as life goes on for every day America, we strive to keep you informed. Tune in your local F.U News Service for details on the hour. Also watch us on Cable. This is Fulla H. Ottair, reporting.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Throwing bare batteries into dumpsters is something I avoid.
Even though that should only start a fire every several blue moons, I don't want my tossed battery making just the wrong resistive short, such as against someone else's steel wool or fragment of bicycle brake cable or something carbonized or graphite pencil lead.
I also do not want to see what happens if a 9V battery with 1 of its 6 cells more discharged than the other 5 gets shorted when buried in paper. Maybe 99.9999% or so of the time everything is fine and hunky dory - cells have to have moisture to conduct.
One thing I do is use rechargeable batteries when I can. Then I don't have to throw out so many batteries. I also have an easier time having only dead ones to get rid of - for one thing, rechargeables self-discharge more.
When I throw out dead batteries, I usually dump them in a municipal trash can well removed from buildings when I cycle by that trash can on my way to work.
Although dumped batteries rank low on the list of causes of fires, I get a bit paranoid here - I have been burned out of my apartment twice from fires started by neighbors, and I do some fair amount of electronics work and LED lighting device prototype development work. I have more than my share of batteries and I do not want any fire problems that I can possibly avoid - especially any that can be blamed on me!
OH pluuuulease......

I second that.