9v. battery disposal

S's point is right there on top his head. I have him filed. You'll have to admit, he could have pared his statement, expounded on it to grace us with his eloquence, or just passed. Isn't the point of the group to TALK about things?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

SteveB

For a 9 volt the load doesn't even need to be resistive. Just short the pins together with a piece of wire. If the battery is not already totally dead it will be in a few seconds.

Reply to
Rich256

Was it not mentioned not too long ago that shorting a 9V battery can get it burning hot?

If you want to discharge a 9V battery to death, go to an auto parts store and get any of these bulbs:

24 158 194 168

(or an amber variant)

Radio Shack has the 194 - catalog number 272-1126.

Those are wedge base types - my experience has been that most wedge base bulbs have wires that can be bent out, and can be connected to 9V batteries with larger clip leads.

If you have or can scrounge a socket or solder on wires, get an 1891 or

1893. Slight chance they have an 1889 or an 1815. (Bayonet base types.) Radio Shack has the screw-base 1487 or something similar (272-1134) (and the bayonet base 1815 or something similar (272-1118).

Go to Radio Shack and get a pack of those 24 inch clip leads (or a 9V battery connector, preferably if you solder it to the bulb).

Connect any of these bulbs to a 9V battery. If the bulb does not glow at all, and you have tested your arrangement to have the bulb glowing on a good 9V battery (verify that the bulb is not broken or strangely burnt out and that you don't have any bad connections), then the battery has extremely low chance of burning anythying.

If the battery to be disposed of makes the bulb glow, then let it glow. Use it as a night light. Chances are the bulb will not be glowing the next morning.

If you more want to use this as a night light than to throw the battery away, disconnect it the next morning and see if the bulb can glow the next night. It may glow, although fairly likely dimly and only for a matter of minutes.

Once the bulb has been connected and not glowing for a day, and the discharge contraption is verified afterwards to have the bulb glowing from a good battery, then the battery is quite well dead.

Don Klipstein

"S. Barker" wrote in news:s4udnSQucvWegejVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I second that.

Reply to
Red Green

"Rich256" wrote

For a 9 volt the load doesn't even need to be resistive. Just short the pins together with a piece of wire. If the battery is not already totally dead it will be in a few seconds.

Thank you, sir, for giving me the first short definitive answer. You have restored my confidence in Usenet! I shall now fashion a jumper from a piece of copper wire and a couple of alligator clips.

Now, wasn't that hard?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And thank you, sir. I have copied your post to my home tips file. Your answer gave me lots of ways to go, and I'll be going to Radio Shack soon to buy some components. I do not know why a lot of the other posters had such a bad time with this.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

OH pluuuulease......

Reply to
S. Barker

OH pluuuuuease.....

S. Barker

You have GOT to be kidding right? How is tossing a 9v battery into a pile of paper and garbage gonna start a fire.? And if you're really THAT worried about it, then take them out and sledge hammer them into little bits and leave them lay on the street. OR throw them in a dumpster behind the local quik trip. DUH!

S. Barker

No, apparently the point of the group is to worry about shit that doesn't matter. You've proven that to some great length here.

S. Barker

Hell, why not just build a little wood box for each and every battery? A guy could kill a week that way.

S. Barker

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking from an engineer point of view. You have to use a resistive load, and put that in parallel with a VOM so you know when it's really dead.

I've got a dozen or so batteries I've got home, hate to throw them out. Cause they still contain power. Somday I'll make a rig to dump them into a couple nicads, so I can use the power for something else. It's not a lot of amp hours, but I hate to throw them away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why go through all that work? Use a penny or other metal coin.

Or take two batteries and clip them to each other. Big short.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

QUICK TRIP DUMPSTER FIRE RASH; ARSON SUSPECTED by Fulla H. Ottair F. U. News service; all rights reserved. No part of this story may be retransmitted in any form without written consent of the service and of the author.

Pantsadowna Iowa. A small town where not much happens. But the local fire chief has been scratching his head, and wondring. Jose Nozzlnut, the local chief has been running his equipment and volunteers ragged the last two weeks. Dumpster fire after dumpster fire has left the town low on resources. Chief Nozzlnut says the year's fuel budget has been spent, and it's not even Memorial Day.

Chief Nozzlnut was talking to reporters, when a fireman came up and asked "Should we roll up the hose, Jose?" The reply "Give er another squirt, you nozzle nut", said Chief Nozzlnut.

The chief was talking to reporters when a man approached and threw in a bag. We interviewed the person, a S. Barker, from Flametown, Iowa. "I'm just disposing some nine volt batteries, as instructed on Usenet", Barker tells reporters. "Been disposing of a couple dozen batteries, in Quck Trip dumpsters all over town."

Even as life goes on for every day America, we strive to keep you informed. Tune in your local F.U News Service for details on the hour. Also watch us on Cable. This is Fulla H. Ottair, reporting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mostly cause we're paranoid idiot flamers? So, why'd you ask? You trying to get me in trouble, you dumb jerk? You're pathetic. Truck you, and the horse you rode in on, you lowlife squirm. People like you should be shot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's bullshit.

It'll only get a little warm.

Only rechargeables have a low enough internal resistance to get very hot.

Besides, by the time most people toss a battery in the trash, it is already discharged.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Another way to totally kill the battery is to plug two 9 volts together. If not already deeply discharged they might get pretty warm. That is probably the biggest danger of throwing a bag of batteries into a dumpster. When I see displays in stores where a container has hundreds of batteries thrown in I often wonder about the chance of a bunch of them making a short circuit.

There is the old wilderness survival way of making a fire. That of shorting out a 9 volt with steel wool on laying on or sort of wrapped with paper.

Reply to
Rich256

How does this fit in with the LDS teachings?

May God bless you.

Reply to
ythread

You have to come to grips with the fact that there is no reliable, cheap, and legal way to dispose of used batteries.

What I do with things that fall into that category is to leave them in a school-yard. At night.

I got the idea from a Dilbert cartoon - Dilbert's boss said that's what he did with his old refrigerator.

Reply to
HeyBub