9v battery burns down house

Page 1 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.
OTOH: The battery was obviously no where near dead

So, I'm curious what caused the fire???? Some of us dont have the equipment of ability to watch videos.
On 01/04/2015 03:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

He put the batteries to be recycled in a bag and one of them shorted out against the case of another and got hot enough to start a fire.
It seems unbelievable but I guess it's true.
Like I said though, if the battery was dead when he threw it out, that would not have happened...he just replaced his smoke detector battery as a precaution.

While that seems hard to believe, I do believe it, because I once had a coin cell battery in my pocket, and also had coins in there. All of a sudden my leg was really hot and I quickly pulled my pocket out and dumped the contents on the ground. That battery apparently contacted the coins and shorted out. I dont put batteries in my pocket anymore!
I always reuse my smoke detector batteries in something else. They are usually still good. The only problem is that there are few devices that use the 9v batteries anymore. Years ago, all the pocket transistor radios used them. But not too many people use those radios anymore.
I suppose if someone wants to dispose one, or store it safely, just stick a little duct tape or electrical tape over the contacts.
On 01/04/2015 03:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I always find something to use the old ones in. I know it never occurred to me that one could start a fire
If you short the 9V terminals to a metal object half-under water will it make the water sizzle or boil? :D

Which half is under water?
What is the amp-hour rating of the battery?
Nicholas Tesla wrote: "On 1/4/2015 7:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which half is under water?
What is the amp-hour rating of the battery? "
Does it matter which half is under water?? No need to over think this.
Put, for example, a 6" tall empty coffee can in 3-4" of standing water, and touch both 9V battery terminals to the part of the can sticking up out of the water. Maybe I'll draw a picture.
Again, will this heat the can up enough to evaporate some of the water?
On 1/4/2015 6:31 PM, philo wrote:

Whole world is dangerous, like that. Someone will remember the story, new building in Japan, was it? Turns out the concave building focus the suns rays and was lighting cars on fire.
No kidding! Hold my beer, woman.

You just take DC batteries and get someone to quickly turn them back and forth.
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:14:35 -0600, Sam E

Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test the trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse (using the continuity mode).

I also test the 9 volt batteries with my tongue. Been doing that for 40 years or more. I always have my tongue with me.
I have several VOMs that are over $ 200 and a couple more less expensive ones so it is not a case of not haveing any thing beter , but my tongue is still calibrated well enough for the 9 volts.
I do agree that for around the house everyone should have one of the metes in the maybe $ 20 price range.

It is inserted by the free Avast virus program. Don't know if it can be turned off or not, and don't care.

That does appear to be the case. I would think that Avast knows how to format a proper sig delimiter, but apparently not.
Per Ralph Mowery:

It can be turned off. Can't recall how I did it, but Googling got me there pretty quickly.
--
Pete Cresswell

Or just use software made for newsgroups ONLY. Why OE sees a reply to a newsgroup as "email" is retarded!
Personally, I find all Signature lines that contain more than just the user name, to be kind of annoying. It's always the same usless lines that need to be ignored. Just more worthless clutter. About the same as all the garbage that comes in my mailbox, wasting my time before I can get to the useful mail. It's too bad we cant refuse junk mail and just tell the post office to toss it in the garbage before delivering it!
But each to their own! It's not my job to judge others! (except the post office) :)
On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:35:25 PM UTC-6, philo  wrote:

The guy took numerous slightly weak 9V batteries and threw them loose into a paper bag in a closet? What intelligent person would do that? He probably kept his lawnmover gasoline in the same closet in his kid's bedroom.
On 1/7/2015 2:34 PM, Davej wrote:

do that? He probably kept his lawnmover gasoline in the same closet in his kid's bedroom.

Everyone knows you store gasoline in open top buckets, next to the water heater.
Zak W posted for all of us...

And the Avast advertisement
--
Tekkie

Wow, that is frightening, It gives you something to think about.
Thanks for the share..