Subject Author Posted Replies

Hardwood floor install questions
I am about to install new 3/4-inch solid hardwood flooring in a 2nd floor apartment -- a living room, 2 bedrooms, and 2 closets. The new hardwood will be prefinished and probably will be Bruce solid...
20
20

Repairing A Hole In Wood Siding ?
Hi, Have the typical horiz. wood clapboards on house. Have noticed that one of them has about a 2 inch diameter all the way thru it. Looks like, perhaps, an animal was trying to get in. Anyway, would...
5
5

Falling US home prices drag new buyers under water
And you're still going down the toilet. We never had crazy "interest-only" mortgages or next-to-nothing down-payment options in Canada. And the way your mortgages are structured is crazy. This story...
8
8

How necessary is gravel under concrete?
I'm wanting to put a 20 foot concrete pad in front of my garage. Right now, the garage floor is concrete, but the driveway in front is just dirt. However, under that dirt, there is a bed of 2" to 3"...
21
21

RMC Vanguard
Anyone have experience with them good/bad? Getting ready to refinance at 3%!

How to calculate cost per effective pool chlorine liquid vs powder
Q: How do 'you' calculate the cost per effective chlorine between liquid versus powder? After googling, I find most answers say it fundamentally doesn't matter whether you use liquid (6% or 12%)...
22
22

Hanging sliding closet door(s) help?
I recently removed the sliding closet doors in all the bedrooms of a house I'm repainting. Because the doors were painted as well I removed the hanging rollers from the top of each door. Now I can't...
4
4

Maytag dishwasher suddenly stopped working
MDB9601 suddenly stopped working, and instead started humming loudly. When I open the door, a loud grinding noise can be heard (from where i assume the pump is at the bottom of the unit) stopping and...
17
17

Help! Electrical problem
My house is about 30 years old. The electrical outlets are 3 prong and the circuits are all on breakers. One of the circuits in the kitchen measures 115v but it seems when i put a load on it, like a...
27
27

Smart meter? Not by the hair of my chinney-chin-chin!
"From his home in Bowdoinham, Maine, the helicopter pilot and environmental activist is leading opposition to digital electrical meters being installed by the local utility, Central Maine Power. The...
3
3

Push On Shaft Retainers; Removal Of ?
Hello, I have a metal cart where the two tires are held onto the shaft using these "push-on" type of fasteners. The kind with the prongs all the way around so they can move in only one direction. Like...

OT rant: bank of America
BA just cut my credit limits --- a lot. The card I was carrying, thinking I had 5,000 or so available credit. They cut it to shaving distance from my balance. One day I tried to buy gas, but was...
33
33

recommended pressure/ power washers for home use
I've toyed with this idea in the past and now I'm thinking of it again after seeing my neighbor use his own. In the past, I just hired someone. What is a good power washer to do concrete, maybe wood...
6
6

York Blower Motor Not Running; Error LED Blinking
I had a complete York AC/Heating System installed in my house in 2007. Recently air stopped coming out of the vents even when the fan is set to On via the thermostat unit. I went in the attic and...
12
12

GFCI Requirement?
I am having some work done in my basement which the contractor has taken upon himself to move my washing machine directly beside the dryer. Previously, there was a utility sink between the two...
21
21