Subject Author Posted Replies

the WD-40 war.
If I were smart I'd leave things alone, but it's well known that I'm not smart. So to add another 2 cents to the WD-40 as lubricant war, Grainger, maybe the biggest industrial supply company of a...
3
3

Solar Hot Water With Thermosiphon Connection
even easier is a batch water heater. just plumb an old but non-leaking water tank in-line with the dhw system. Place it in an enclosed insulated "hut"with a glass front to speed up the heating and...
1
1

Is there any recycling for drywall?
I was told that the gypsum is good for the soil, but breaking up the sheets by hand is not an option. I did toss some in a fire and it breaks apart, but it's still not powder. Aside from throwing it...
12
12

How Much CO is too much?
I have a high-sensitivity CO detector. Been reading 000 for years. All of a sudden tonight, it went off at 15PPM. House has been closed up tight all day. I replaced the battery and moved it to another...
18
18

Backer rod source/question
We just completed a screened-in deck and we need to fill between the decking to stop insects from coming in. The decking is a TREX-style. The whole deck is 16x20 and there is a concrete pad under...
7
7

Where did the fan go? How high is the roof?
Where did the fan go? How high is the roof? A friend had two layers of roof removed and a new roof put on, House was built about 1969, and had the second roof put on about 1990. From the outside of...
2
2

a problem with electric meters?
One of my friends sends me an email about a local state rep who is preseinting to the Md. Public Service Commission a "case" to allow people to reject smart meters. Nowhere does it say what kind of...
164
164

Does it matter if a Jandy valve is mounted with the INLET wrong?
In another thread, we determined I needed to replace my cracked Jandy valve. I have nagging questions I'm hoping a pool owner might know. LABELS: My pool equipment is well labeled but I don't...
8
8

Painting Steel Front Door/Replacing Lockset Questions
Help! I don't know where to start. The previous owners have at least three coats of paint on my front door. From the elements, the paint has hair line cracks in it. Can a professional painter sand and...
17
17

Shutting off those solar yard lights
The first of these solar yard lights had a small switch to turn them on and off. As they got cheaper, the switches were eliminated in favor of a small plastic strip that was removed to turn them on,...
6
6

Refrigerator buy-back program
Our electric utility is offering to buy back old refrigerators (between 10 and 30 cu. ft.) for $30. I can see the logic of this (and of the subsidized CFLs), because it may postpone the need to build...
13
13

Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset
Help! I don't know where to start. The previous owners have at least three coats of paint on my front door. From the elements, the paint has hair line cracks in it. Can a professional painter sand and...
9
9

OT - slightly How do you refill one of those McCormick Pepper grinders?
Rather that do that, buy a decent pepper mill and just buy peppercorns to grind. Long term, better pepper, lower cost.
6
6

Drywall Question...
i have a hole about 12 x 12 in a closet that i want repaired. I spoke to super of my building he says he can put a piece of wood in it then screw it in My question is can he not get a piece of drywall...
9
9

OT If only.
If only she'd a had a six shooter, she'd a sorted him out good. This footage was taken whilst monitoring the Heythrop Hunt. Hunt members all over the country often use the tactic of holding up...
21
21