Subject Author Posted Replies

How far to hang light
Hanging a mini pendant over the kitchen sink. Box is out 12" from wall, we have 7'6" ceilings. Is there a standard, or is it preference? We're both just under 6' tall, I'm sure we don't want it in our...
5
5

Reducing Dead Animal Smell
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died...
24
24

Eradicate Moth Damage to your Carpets
What's your trip charge, to western NY, USA? Just wondering. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus . The Tapestry Moth or Carpet Moth (Trichophaga tapetzella) is found all around the world. In...
2
2

stucco in abq
I'd like to thank this forum for its useful comment, and I'm proud to report that I have good-looking week-old stuccoed parapets, thanks to the sage advice of Oren from Las Vegas. I'd give you Janet's...

OT: Walmart -> Where Food Stamps Go to Die
exemplifies the ghetto status of the U.S. economy more than the success of Wal-Mart in the face of the ongoing destruction of what was once a vibrant and strong middle class. In case you missed it,...
11
11

Do you know whether quiet rock will block out the following noise?
The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by do= ing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes= etc. I can only take this to mean that I am...
9
9

Clear or translucent roof panels
Several years ago I installed a row of clear or translucent (can't remember which -- now looks translucent) roof panels on a pole barn. Recently I've noticed that where this panel passes over the...
7
7

Can I Bullnose Porcelain Tile With A Belt Sander?
I'm thinking of covering a concrete stoop with 12" x 12" porcelain tile. The stoop has one ~13" x 5' step up to a 4' x 5' slab. Therefore there are 2 risers. I want to bullnose the edges of the step...
9
9

Fire resistant construction -- not needing repair
It's not that difficult really, as long as you keep trees cleared back far enough to eliminate the threat of a burning tree falling directly onto the house, the remaining threat is from small blowing...
6
6

sill plate attachment on old construction?
How were sill plates attached to concrete foundations in older (60 years in this case) construction? I'm just tearing into a 12' rotted-out section of exterior wall in the workshop and the sill plate...
4
4

Don't invest in solar power
While solar power seems to be a form of free energy, after the initial investment for equipment, dont do it! The reason is that in less than one year, the Sun is going to burn out. Without the sun,...
22
22

WTH? Should I buy a Volt?
I just got a letter that says my village (Morton Grove, IL) contracted with an electrical supplier to provide juice that ComEd was providing. Effective rate goes from 8.5 cents per kwh to 4.42. If I...
15
15

Gasket Material
Anybody remember casaco, or kasako, or casako, or kasaco? Don't know the spelling, but that's what it was called. Disturbing I can't find it on the net. Wondering if I'm crazy. Used on low pressure,...
1
1

Power Strip Installation - Mounting Screw Alignment
To view the source video/project: http://dirtyshirt.info/houses_power_strip_install.html Have you ever struggled to line up the mounting screws and holes when installing a power strip? We show you how...
8
8

OT: Stockton CA to file for bankruptcy, will be largest U.S. city to fail
Colorado on fire, Florida (like half of all US home owners) under water. Detroit threatening to go under for months, but here comes Stockton to do it first. Texas without enough electricity. US troops...
35
35