96 Aerostar hood liner fire

Page 2 of 2
On 4/7/2015 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:

When it is all done, your $3500 investment will give you a vehicle worth about $2000. You have to really, really, really, like it to make that sort of investment. Don't make it part of your retirement portfolio.

Vehicle worth is hard to determin. While he may put $ 3500 in the engine and some more in the transmission if it goes out, he should be good for another 100,000 plus miles. If he looks at a used vehicle it will have lots of miles on it.
I drove a car that had almost 200,000 miles on it before I was looking to trade it in. I had driven the thing way past the point the timing belt was recommended to be changed. As it would cost what if not more than the vehicle was worth, I was gambling the belt would not break before I bought something else. I bought a new car and kept the old one as someone at work wanted it. I sold it to him at the price ($ 500) I was going to be allowed on a socalled trade in. He knew that the belt was way over due because I told him. Not sure what he did with the car as he was actually buying it for someone else.

same. If you like the van (I did) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

want to think about biting both bullets.

worth

Remember, I'm not going to fix it and sell it right away -- I'm looking at the next 5 years. Also there's more to consider than just repair and resell value.
This would be a good analysis if you have time to get the info. I have done this in the past and don't need to do it again.
If you have time, look up and post the purchase price of an equiv Ford van from a dealer less any trade-in value of the '96 in this condition. List the cost of Calif state & San Diego city/county sales tax, registration and other required DMV costs, plus the annual costs of Calif registration for both vehicles for the next 5 years. Use $3500 as the original purchase price for the 96.

same. If you like the van (I did) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

want to think about biting both bullets.

worth

Remember, I'm not going to fix it and sell it right away -- I'm looking at the next 5 years. Also there's more to consider than just repair and resell value.
This would be a good analysis if you have time to get the info. I have done this in the past and don't need to do it again.
If you have time, look up and post the purchase price of an equiv Ford van from a dealer less any trade-in value of the '96 in this condition. List the cost of Calif state & San Diego city/county sales tax, registration and other required DMV costs, plus the annual costs of Calif registration for both vehicles for the next 5 years. Use $3500 as the original purchase price for the 96.
PS - Some basic vehicle state fees due on purchased vehicles...
Vehicle License Fee – 2% of purchase price (also due annually) ($3500 = $70 fee; $15000 = $300 fee)
SD County Fees – ? Registration Fee CVRA vehicles $122; California Highway Patrol Fee $37; Smog Abatement Fee $20;

The registration cost for that vehicle would be less than $20 per year in California. Anyone asking $3500 for a 1996 Ford van is ripping you off.

might > >want to think about biting both bullets.

that > >

portfolio.

looking > >at the next 5 years. Also there's more to consider than just repair and > >resell value.

have > >done this in the past and don't need to do it again.

Ford > >van from a dealer less any trade-in value of the '96 in this condition. > >List the cost of Calif state & San Diego city/county sales tax, =

as > >the original purchase price for the 96.

No way, Jose. Calif DMV page lists a list of fees and taxes that are paid when first registering a purchased car. Plus 8-9% sales tax depending on the county - not reg fee but still is paid to the state.
$3500 was the amount I paid several years ago. Annual reg is 2% of the purchase price - $70/year.
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 17:28:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

If I could find one in Primo condition for that price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
On 4/7/2015 11:58 AM, Fred James wrote:

You make some good point, but be sure to evaluate everything. How is the suspension and front end? Power steering? Climate control? Brake system? A $3500 investment for five years is not bad, but if it turns into many thousands more, not so much.
Since you mention San Diego. chances are there is little rust, but you can still have a front wheel fall off from worn ball joints and such.

It's not what the van is worth - it's what it will cost to replace it with something that will do the same job, and that you can live with. If the body/chassis is solid, I'd say go for it. How many miles on the old beast?? If the rest of the engine is good a set oif heads might be a good investment. Getting a good used engine for it isn't as easy as it used to be since most of the Aerostars are long gone - but a Ranger engine will fit and there are lots of them around. Not sure if the Ranger tranny is the same or not.. If so, get a "heart and lung transplant" -change the pair.

same. If you like the van (I did) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

want to think about biting both bullets.

worth

that

Ditto. Looking at it as an investment, every time I put gas in the tank I'm making an investment.
On 4/7/2015 10:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've heard that after Obama's Cash for Clunkers, there are very few used cars remain which are affordable.

worth

that

portfolio.

I don't know about an Obama program, but in Calif if a car doesn't pass smog test, the state will "buy" it for $1000. $1500 if the owner is below a certain income level. Still, for basic transportation, a $1000 car that runs and passes smog is worth more than $1000.

Count on replacing the heads - they are often warped beyond service limit or cracked - and used heads are not easy to come by. Bare castings are available from several sources.

As is my '96 Ranger 4 liter - 331000km and counting.

a spark?
Last night, the engine would not turn over. Clicking noise coming from top of engine compartment - not from below. Arms or neck not long enough to turn key and see under the hood at the same time. Only things that would click are solenoid and starter relay mounted on the driver side fender. Definitely not the solenoid. Borg relay is $24 at the local part house, $13 for cheap version.
Before replacing relay, I checked voltage - was 12.7V, but when turned the key, dropped to 5-6V. Put charger on it, checked again later, no change. Pulled the battery terminals off, wires were pretty much green, cleaned all. One negative terminal nut was spinning in the clamp where the relay wire connected, replaced screw & nut. Started up right away. Off voltage is 12.7. Started so quickly, the voltage didn't go below 12. When running, can't remember exactly what V was but was stable and where it should be.
Also noticed red insulation on the hot wire under the clamp was black. When I removed the battery cover, I found a piece of a paper towel near the neutral terminal that had evidently blown in. A piece of it could have blown up and caught fire.
Learned that it's easier to find info searching for Ranger, etc. Ford Explorer, Aerostar, Ranger, Mercury Mountaineer all seem to have a lot of common parts.
Some helpful links: http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Ford-Ranger-Explorer-Mountaineer-199 1-1999/STARTING-SYSTEM/Starter/_/P-0996b43f802c5540
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.0L/how-to-test-the-alternator-1
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 04:43:41 -0700, "Fred James"

So the bad pattery post connection got hot sometime in the past and caused the little fire. Fords need REAL GOOD connections or they do the "tat-a-tat-tat" relay chatter and don't start. A low battery on a chevy will crank slowly - on a Ford it just laughs at you.