Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - crooks phoning me
Related to the telemarketers, I just got the second call in 2 weeks that I had won $2.5 million from Publishers Central Clearing House. FYI, I got his number so I could call him back: 1-876-881-0225...
12
12

Callin' the Haul-Away guys...
Hello all - I'm in Western Connecticut. I have a bunch of junk appliances (and other items) that I need to get rid of. Nearby, there is a privately-run (but city sponsored) recycling center that...
20
20

Is a generator to supply 'almost' all the power worth it?
Utilities go down. Is it worth it to get a generator to supply almost all the power to your home? like 10kW or 20kW. and if so, which one and how much? Or just stick with a 2kW, or so and time...
25
25

Electrical - Is this legal to code?
Electrical - Is this legal to code? I dug a trench from the garage to a toolshed, and put about 30 feet of 12-2 UF cable underground to the shed. Before filling the trench, I decided that maybe it...
49
49

Is there a way to duct a natural gas heater?
Sounds too complex. Are there adjoining walls, or outside wall. Some prudent use of electric heat might work. I had an apartment with adjoining duplex, but didn't have to worry about closing bedroom...
9
9

Autonomous braking system to be required
In Europe, so says Popular Science. "Cars in Europe may soon become very much more robotic whether drivers want them to or not. New rules coming down from the European Commission will require all...
81
81

Baseboard reattach
At the church, someone knocked off about 6 inch length of varnished wood baseboard. The mating surface is some kind of goop that didn't hold. Behind that is wall paper, and some bare drywall. At the...
14
14

OT Harassing calls
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The...
54
54

Honda Generators
It would have been about year 2000, give or take a year. We had a winter time power cut. A friend of mine had water in the cellar. He could not stay ahead of the water, with buckets. Carpet in the...
92
92

Why are toilets made of porcelain?
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong, durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been done.
31
31

OT: what does this mean?
Maybe I'm missing something here because when I heard this soundbite from the radio, I couldn't understand.... a retired cop said that "when he was on the force, he hated thieves more than murderers"....
34
34

Laminate countertop installation sequence question
Watched all the video's on you tube and read everything I can find. Some say to put the edge on first, and route it even to the top and some say to put the top on first, and put the edge band up to...
8
8

laser level suggestions
*You just need to strike a few lines on the wall and then check for levelness before finalizing the mounting. A 4' level should suffice. Maybe need a 2' level for the sides.
12
12

Zoo Chimp Asking Visitors to Help it Escape
At the Welsh Mountain Zoo near Colwyn Bay, visitors are shocked when a chimpanzee appears to instruct them on how to open its enclosure so it can escape. Upon closer inspection, the Internet has...

shoe repair
A little off topic but . . . I have repaired loose soles on shoes before wi= th Shoe Goo, great stuff. My question is, when the heels or soles wear out= (talking about leather casual shoes with rubber...
2
2