Subject Author Posted Replies

home alternatives
Home is place where we can spend our time happliy with peace of mind.

Anchoring a handrail
Lived in this house 35 years. Now wife needs a handrail to get up/down front steps. Planning on going with metal railing, 36" high.. Posts are 2x2 with a square bottom flange with four holes for...
15
15

Grout scrubbers?
My kitchen and bathroom counters are covered with beautiful 4" ceramic tiles and 1/2 " grout lines. They have lasted for 30 years without a chip or blemish. The problem is with the grout. Originally...
19
19

Roofing prices in central New Jersey, Monmouth County
I thought you'd be interested in prices to remove two roofs and install a new one on a ranch house located just outside Freehold, NJ. Total price was $8,900 for a 3100 sq ft roof (based on actual...
1
1

phone charger adapter?
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just s= ay there was a water immersion event. Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the = old one....
17
17

getting plaster off trowels
any tricks on how to get plaster off trowels except scrubbing the heck out of them?
17
17

Chuck Schumer on electrical outlets
"For his next press conference, he plans to lambaste manufacturers of electrical outlets for making them look so much like kissy-faces." Read more: a parody on Senator Schumers rant about laundry...
2
2

what parts/tools/materials do I need to paint a bathroom?
Hi All, I need to paint a bathroom. What tools/parts/materials do I need to purchase (paint is pretty obvious). The shower is a one piece fiberglass shower. It leaves about two feed of sheet rock on...
17
17

Real time NG meter change
Did you watch? How exactly does he tap the "small tank" into the service fast enough that the pilot lights don't go out?
3
3

(OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?
My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not block political calls. With election time getting close, I'm...
32
32

What sucked my traps dry?
I have a basement bathroom that is located at the very front of the house. All of the fixtures are within a few feet of the last clean out before the main drain leaves my house. The house is about 50...
29
29

floor finishing
Ok, i got a dousing of BLO applied and wiped down on a new red oak floor. Now i need to know what is the best way (that is not spraying) to apply the wax free shellac sealer. I'm gonna start on this...
14
14

Beware marble countertops. . .
We recently installed marble countertops in our kitchen, and it's been a disaster. Almost immediately water-spots began to form, taking off the sealer. Even worse, a little tomato juice fell onto the...
43
43

OT Why do so few people appreciate the importance of Tesla's work
Since Usenet is dying, it is harder and harder to find active Usenet groups. I have just started taking topics and try to fit them into the few groups I frequent. Tesla=electricity home...
68
68

Sealing new asphalt driveway?
Had a new asphalt driveway installed in June and now I'm wondering about sealing it. Most Goggling says wait a minimum of 3 months, but ideally wait 6-9 months. I'm in Wisconsin and waiting 3 more...
7
7