Subject Author Posted Replies

Sawdust containment
I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw. Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door,...
31
31

camera copy stand
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without...
22
22

Cutting trim work
Going to try to explain the cuts. Looked on Google, obviously I'm not using the correct search terms. Here's what I have. A couple of cuts each being 30 degrees. I have a sliding compound miter box....
11
11

Fertilizer
I'm ticked. The neighbors hire out their yard work to a bunch from south of the border. Today, was out in the hot tub, relaxing, and seen one of the workers, squatting in their bushes, taking a dump!...
50
50

whole house surge protectors
This is after reading and talking to others, I'm thinking about this. I'm not very educated on electricity so I wonder 2 things right away. What brands are good for whole house protection and how do I...
61
61

electric clothes dryer
I had a service guy tell me that sometimes electr. boards fail inside the dryer due to electrical spikes. I wondered if this was BS because this is a 220 appliance and I didn't think they are as...
39
39

Fixing stripped plastic electrical boxes
Many of us have had to deal with plastic electrical boxes with stripped or broken device mounting holes. Sometimes people use a drywall screw, which works if the hole is just stripped, but may crack...
1
1

Phone update
I bought one of these: turns out that it is more functional than I expected. Even if you don't buy a data package you can use ATT network (for free). This means you can use it at most public places...
1
1

Biggest On The Job Screwup EVER
'Drunken' Broker Sent Oil to 8-Month High in 2009 June 30, 2009, oil mysteriously jumped by more than $1.50 a barrel during the night, to reach its highest price in eight months, the kind of swing...
25
25

Generators, Again?!
In another thread some folks wondered about using their vehicle to supply power to their homes in times of disaster or power line repairs. I recalled seeing 5-8kw AC generators under the hoods of...
44
44

Appliance repair?
Are appliance repair questions acceptable here?
6
6

painting conduit
Can you spray paint conduit and not fail inspections?
2
2

Recycling
Hi guys, I'm currently on a project, one that involves recycling pallets and turning them into fence. I think it's all over the internet now, and i really think it makes a lot of sense. Pallets are...
5
5

You seen one bag of mortar, seen'em all??
Looking to patch up my stone walls, between stones. Was at HD today, must be a half-dozen or more types of mortar -- or, iiuc, "sandmix". Is there any type/brand particularly good for patching stone...
10
10

High Efficiency Furnace
An out-of-town friend has a two-story condo with an old gas, forced-air fur= nace in a pantry off the kitchen. She wants to replace it with a high effic= iency furnace, taking her from 80% efficiency...
58
58