Subject Author Posted Replies

Sandy, storm fringe arrives, Monday
Bought a few things, today. Asked at Dollar Tree, what are the fast movers. Flashlights, batteries Bottled water Snacks. Trace of rain. Went to the church, to do my usual Monday walk through. About...
4
4

electrical service monitor?
While sitting here with my new generator running I'm thinking about the power coming back. Currently the only way I know it is live is to throw the transfer switch. If its not there then I switch it...
4
4

Hope you americans are ready for the looting
So that other american past time - looting - is going to kick into high gear soon along the eastern seaboard. Hope you people are ready for all that fun...
12
12

Electrical service beside bathroom
I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink. My question...
9
9

Little Things
The Little Things, by D.M.L. Permalink So, you think you're prepared? So did I. Until Hurricane Irene destroyed the infrastructure around here. The roads were blocked to all the local towns, all three...
5
5

OT: Voter fraud may have caused the death...
... of Edgar Allan Poe! "... what people may not know about this American storyteller is that many scholars believe he may have died due to voter fraud. And therein lies a mysterious and spooky tale...

Yakking and hogging phone lines
With storms, people need to make emergency phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK, honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then end the call, and free up the phone line. You may have unlimited...
21
21

emergency light
Commercial codes have required emergency lighting for decades. I've added a couple of inexpensive ones at home. First one I bought is an Energizer from Tractor Supply. Plugs into any socket and...
9
9

Milk, bread, eggs, and the storm Sandy
I went to my small town grocery, tonight. They had five of the most attractive 17 and 18 year old cashiers I've seen in a while. Yes, I'm a dirty old man. As I cashed out, I asked if they are very...
5
5

(OT) Rebuilding laptop batteries
I'm asking this question on here because I've read several times about some of you rebuilding the battery packs for cordless tools. Have any of you rebuilt the battery packs for laptop computers? Can...
17
17

Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me
Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt. Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....
72
72

Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem (2023 Update)
I don't know what the suggested fix was as this seems to be an orphan post, but what I do just about every couple of years with the proprietary thermocouple of my hot water heaters is I remove it,...
20
20

OT - Grill Heat Plates - Stainless Steel, Porcelain Coated or Rocks
I need to replace the heat shields on my Gas Grill. My grill uses individual "tents" over each of the 3 burners. The ones I am replacing were porcelain coated but are now beginning to rust out. I can...
15
15

Load Center Preferences
Anyone care to state brand/type preferences for external, 200 amp residential load centers?
21
21

tick tracer, line chaser, name not important
Well, maybe it is important, because I'm trying to find one and those names are giving me other things. I need a signal generator that I can clip to ONE wire and a detector that can detect the signal...
19
19