Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: A MESSAGE FROM THE QUEEN
To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and...
3
3

Caulk tub
I want to caulk the space between the fiberglass tub and the sheetrock. One side has about a 1/8 inch gap while another side is about 1/4 inch. I don't want a 1/4 inch of caulking on both sides. I...
12
12

Tree wounds
The present consensus is that you do NOT apply any kind of paint, dressing, tar, etc. to a clean saw cut (except for oak trees where there is a threat of oak wilt). But how about irregular scars cause...
9
9

LED Bulb cost
I just bought a 5 pack of 9 led flashlights for $5. I looked at a 60W equivalent light bulb and it was $15. Why is there such a difference in price between LED flashlights and light bulbs?
25
25

Generac Generator Experience?
Anyone here have experience with Generac generators in terms of reliability, problems, etc? Most interested in the Guardian whole house standby type that run on nat gas. A friend has a 12KW one that...
18
18

"Cedar" plank siding
Presently have cedar siding on my home. Planks about 4" wide and 8' long, tongue and groove, vertical orientation, stained a brown color. Time for a repaint or replacement and wondering if anyone has...
2
2

Coffeemaker just steams- the fix
This is one of those 'so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it myself' stories. Wife picked up a Mr. Coffee at a thrift shop- tried to run a pot of coffee through it and it just spit and...
33
33

built in vs free standing stoves and ovens
In my experience the more expensive homes always had built in ovens, sometimes with microwave (built into the cabinetry) and cook tops built into the countertops. Lower priced homes would more...
6
6

AIr compressor repaired
I spent a few hours today working on my air compressor at the shop. This is something I cannot be without, so was tempted to go buy another one, but this is not a cheap throwaway unit. Symptoms were a...
8
8

Gap to be expected?
Hi, My cabinet maker tells me that this kind of hinge: leads to this type of gap: can't see how that can be an acceptable gap. Am I correct and, if so, what arguments can I use with the cabinet maker....
19
19

Robo-Moderation of alt.home.repair
In my rarely humble opinion, is the best of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement robo-moderation? You decide! Benefits: Minimal...
39
39

Trader4 was right?? gensets vs. car inverters.....
that is the best answer. you run the inverter with a car battery when you need a small amount of power for the TV or the modem for your laptop etc... and you run the genny when its time to cool down...
59
59

Florescent Tube issue
This is a commercial 4' T12 fixture. One bulb lights fully, the other not at all, even with new bulb. The fully lighting bulb has me puzzled. With one bulb it usually lights partially, not fully....
3
3

New hot water tank in july, what is fair?
My GFs sisters family bought a new sears water heater and had it installed by sears last july. It quit working over a week ago and sears hasnt got the parts yet, they promise it will be fixed by...
45
45

Treatment for PT pine decking?
I'd appreciate suggestions for what to apply to the wood of my newly built deck after it dries in a few months. I know that the wood will turn gray eventually, and I'm fine with that - I'm not...
5
5