$900 or $1800

I have a lot of time and do enjoy cutting the grass. I also have two trees that are about 40 in. apart. I don`t need or want a riding mower with any of the " fancies". My question ---Is a $1800 mower so much better than a $900 one? What do ya`ll think?

Reply to
Herb Eneva

Yes.

HTH

Reply to
G. Morgan

** IMO, they're both still in the junk class. One is probably larger, bigger mower deck, engine, but essentially built with the same lightweight materials
Reply to
RBM

I look at it this way. the 900 mower is like a $79 string trimmer. If you want a new one every year, buy the cheap one. If you want something that will last a while then spend a little more. If you want something that will last your lifetime, then spend a lot more. My mower was $7900 in 2005. I would not even consider anything less if i needed another one or were recommending to a friend. Yes, a bit of money, but if it were on payments, it'd be a lot less than starbucks daily, and it'll last MY lifetime and probably another 20 yrs after that is over.

Yes, I have a $400 string trimmer also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Depends on the cup holders, it's all about the cup holders! Actually it depends on how big your yard is and how often you mow. I had a old friend that had an old cheap MTD cheap rider and he mowed 3 acres with it for over 10 years. Very few repairs and most of those were from him running through the fence and hitting the water meter cover. Spindles, belts, batteries all need attention, if you take care of them even a cheap one ought to last a long time.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

A $200 one is the best. Grass don't care if it's used.

Reply to
LSMFT

You get what you pay for. In terms of how long it will last, how many times you will fix it, how many times you have to take it to the shop, and how many times it starts up for you when you want to mow.

You're considering $900 - $1800 for a push mower?

I think I have just the one for you. It's only $800.

Plus shipping.

Very compact. Very simple to operate. 5 hp engine. Dependable rope pull start. Manual controls. Will fit between trees. Clippings catcher $200 extra.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

I still use both of my 41 year old Husky Bolens. Makes the new homeowner stuff look pretty bad. I may go and totally rebuild the cutting deck at the cost of a few hundered dollars with new spindles and all new pulleys. It's a lot better than 99% of the new ones. My front yard is a bit steep and tough to do sideways. I'll use the Bolens with chains on all summer and go up and down the hill. I wouldn't trust the transmission in a new one at Lowes to hold up to that very long.

I was getting bearings to rebuild the drive shaft for the roto tiller and the guy at NAPA asked me if the drive shaft was from a Honda car. Should have seen the crowd gather when I said it's from a 40 year old

12HP Garden tractor for the tiller.
Reply to
Tony Miklos

I think that is the point, 40 years ago the Bolens was a premium machine, not something to be compared to a Craftsman, or an MTD anything. For years I used an original 62' Cub Cadet, I sold it two years ago just to make room in the garage, and it worked perfectly fine still. I opted for a machine that was a little safer for my kids to operate.

Reply to
RBM

What do these trees have to do with it?

How much land do you have? How many times a year do you mow? How long does each mowing take?

IF it's not too big or you don't fertilize so it dooesn't grow that much, or to a large extent, if you let it grow long before you cut it, or you have a thin easy to cut grass and not much heavy stuff like much crabgrass, a cheap mower will last a long time.

Absolutely. My 88 lebaron had two. My 95 had none**. I hadn't even bothered to check. Why would they take away the cupholders once they thought to put them in? It took months of measuring, design, and manufacturing just to put in just one. No room for another of the same design.

Maybe they think the ashtray is one, but you'd have to take the change out first and even then the ashtray lid doesn't fully get out of the way of the cup.

Reply to
mm

most of the ashtrays (if not all) are gone now also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well where am I supposed to keep my change?

25% iirc of Americans still smoke (and I don't think it was ever over 45%). I've never smokes but I think they should provide ashtrays.

I have an ashtray at home if a guest wants to smoke.

Reply to
mm