90 amps for electric car charge!

Page 5 of 6

You get permit for electrical work from the local municipality. They usually charge a fee and send out an inspector to make sure the work is done according to code. What does any of that have to do with your claim that the power company routinely gets notified when you add a large residential load like a hot tub? Please provide a cite for that. I'd also welcome hearing from anyone else here that notified the power company that they were adding a hot tub or similar load. You notify the power company when you need an upgrade in the service capacity to the house.

Just as I said. The power utility told me they need to know about major additions. They said if I added something large, and they did not know, I could be responsible for damage to the transformer. I assumed that they generally got the info from the permit process, since a permit is required for any electrical addition.

Complete nonsense. As long as your usage is within your service capabilities you have no obligation to inform anyone of added loads. In some jurisdictions you're required to (though few do) pull a permit for electrical work, though in reality this is for *tax* purposes. The power company doesn't know anything about it. You assume government is looking out for something other than themselves. Laughable.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The permits are the city, the power utility is the city. What's laughable?

The suggestion that the city building/inspection/permitting department talks to the power company, even if they are both city departments (which is certainly not universal, as you suggest).

...or in fact that there is any reason to do so. The power company knows what the trends are by usage statistics. The certainly don't micromanage planning down to the hot tub. Yes, it *is* laughable.

Well, there's the confusion right there. Many utilities are in the private sector. For example, my "city" is Pittsfield Township. My electric utility is DTE Energy, a publicly traded corporation. Cindy Hamilton
Bob F wrote:

I've never lived anywhere where "the power utility is the city", so you are laughable.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:00:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

The city here has the power company, but I assure you that their planning tsars aren't counting hot tubs. Tax assessors, OTOH...
On 2/17/2010 1:00 PM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

You've never heard of municipal power companies? Lessee, not far from where I live, Palo Alto, Sacramento, and several others I can't think of just at the moment run their own power systems within their cities. Marin County just decided to set up a county-wide power authority. So yes, in many places "the power utility is the city".
Now who's laughing?

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yeah, but that's California where the word for government ownership of the means of production is "normal."
Now my city owns the water system - and makes a small profit. The real reason for city ownership, I've been told, is so the city can keep up with buildings and so forth for tax purposes.

Several cities in that greatest of red states, Texas, own their electric utilities, including the capital, Austin (a blue island in a sea of red). Also, Garland, near Dallas, as red as you can get.
OK, when did red shift from liberal pinko commie red to god fearing conservative red?
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

When one of the TV networks news department painted a large US map on the floor of their studio and chose red and blue for the two major political parties for a presidential election. We know how liberal most of MSM is.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Douglas Johnson wrote:

I think it comes from the usual reaction of progressives when they don't get their way: the hold their breath until they turn blue (sometimes accompanied by foot-stamping).
Conversely, conservatives maintain a healthy pink constitution. Sometimes aided by home-made alcohol.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I didn't say that. Read it again.

Doesn't say they aren't the same in some places, but it does say it isn't true everywhere. Two cities near me by bulk electric, then rip off residents and business by doubling the cost to everyone else in the area.

Me, at you for your very poor reading skills.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

I guess we still are laughing because the real issue was that the poster claimed utilities are routinely notified by residential customers when they add significant loads to their homes. First he claimed it was required of homeowners by utilities directly. Then he claimed it was because you had to get a permit for electrical work. Then he claimed that because his electric utility happens to be run by the municipality, that when you get an electric permit, that counts as notifying the utility.
No question there are some electric utilities owned and run by municipalities. The rest of that is obvious hogwash. Any of us that have actually pulled permits know that the permit doesn't ask for or calculate the actual load. You get a permit to put in a new 50 amp sub-panel or a permit to put in six 15 amp circuits. Big deal, what does that mean? It says nothing about what might or might not actually be connected to those circuits, only the theoretical maximum. And the utility already knows what the theoretical maximum is. It's the service rating installed to the house, eg 200 amps.

I only relayed what I was told by the city inspector or the utility worker (not sure which). OK - they must be liers.
Bob F wrote:

Liers? You mean 'Liars', unless the 'P' fell off your Pliers. :)
It's more likely that they are not well trained. Any time I wanted real answers, I contacted the city engineer or the engineers at what ever utility was involved.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

told you this nonsense...
krw wrote:

Can you remember the exact details of everything that happened to you years ago?