9 volt transistor battery use?

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump the charge into 12 volt lead acid batteries to keep my devices going some day when the power is out.

One of the charge bases for my FRS walkies takes 9 volts in. Maybe rig something up, and parallel a couple transistor batteries to keep FRS walkie charged.

Just hate to throw them all away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can have fun putting the terminals on your tongue to see which ones have more juice.

Reply to
Tony

On 11/18/2009 5:08 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Mmm, that ain't gonna work. Batteries aren't like jugs of old juice you can pour into another container.

Do what I do; recharge 'em.

Don't listen to all those naysayers who say it can't be done. I do it all the time.

Now, there are limitations; you cannot restore anywhere near a full charge to a non-rechargeable (alkaline, etc.) battery. However, for devices that don't draw much current, you can easily get weeks or even months more life out of them by recharging.

My phone answering machine, for instance, started blinking "BL" at me about a month ago. Recharged the battery and it's been happy since.

I also don't have any problems with batteries leaking this way, though I have with other sizes (AA cells, for one). But even that's no big deal; if it leaks a little in the charger, just pull it, toss the battery and clean up the mess in the charger.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 11/18/2009 7:54 AM Tony spake thus:

Yeah, I used to do the "taste test" too, but all it tells you is whether or not the battery is absolutely dead.

It is fun, though.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

More fun when you do it with the neighbor kid's tongue.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mmm, that ain't gonna work. Batteries aren't like jugs of old juice you can pour into another container.

CY: Should ought to work.

Do what I do; recharge 'em.

Don't listen to all those naysayers who say it can't be done. I do it all the time.

Now, there are limitations; you cannot restore anywhere near a full charge to a non-rechargeable (alkaline, etc.) battery. However, for devices that don't draw much current, you can easily get weeks or even months more life out of them by recharging.

My phone answering machine, for instance, started blinking "BL" at me about a month ago. Recharged the battery and it's been happy since.

CY: My 9 volt battery uses are only smoke detectors, and I don't think the savings is worth the risk.

I also don't have any problems with batteries leaking this way, though I have with other sizes (AA cells, for one). But even that's no big deal; if it leaks a little in the charger, just pull it, toss the battery and clean up the mess in the charger.

CY: I've had primary cells leak, even if charged in chargers designed for that. I leave em sit a couple weeks, and toss out the leakers. They charge if not below 1.47 volts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Put some tuna on the terminals and leave it for the neighbor's cat.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Clip one to the other...and watch em smoke!

You're showing your age or have extremely old batteries calling them "transistor batteries".

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

On 11/18/2009 3:26 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

[I wrote: restoring proper attribution]

Yep, agreed; I wouldn't recharge batteries for a smoke detector, which you really want to know will work properly.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Not true. You can get a good idea of how dead.

Reply to
Bob F

Yes, I'm showing my age. I had one short in my pocket, one time. Same pocket as a coin. I noticed it was getting a bit warm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm, done that with the little 9v batteries before. By "transistor batteries" I assumed the OP was talking about the big old 9V radio batteries (the ones the size of drinks cans, only rectangular). Unless that's what everyone else is talking about, too :-)

My memory of those big batteries is that one terminal was on the top face and one on the side (right near the top), so putting a tongue across them would be tricky. Don't think I've seen a battery like that in nearly 30 years, though...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I have a portable tube radio that uses two 45 volt batteries in series for 90 volts and also I think a 6 volt one for the tube filaments. Are you maybe thinking of the 45 volt batteries? I'm guessing the shape was about the same as a little 9 volt, but much much larger with screw on terminals, probably at opposite ends for safety. They were/are reproducing them but I bought some cheap 9volt snap on connectors and put 10 9 volt transistor batteries in series and used a couple of C cells for the filaments.

Reply to
Tony

I know you probably meant 4 C's. My dad had one of those...like a small suitcase or the old portable record player types. I destroyed his without asking...trying to convert to an audio amp (I think?).

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

OP checking in. Meant this:

Yes, I was around 30 years ago to see one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm, yeah, heck if I know now. Did some googling but can't find a picture of the thing I remember. It was maybe 4" tall, 2" wide, 3/4" thick. I'm pretty sure Ever Ready made 'em (and probably others).

Maybe brain fart on my part and they really were 6V and not 9V (but I googled for old 6V batteries and couldn't find the thing I remember, either)

Always assumed the one side-terminal was so it was harder to accidentally short them out.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules