Subject Author Posted Replies

Diamond wheel or "?" for cutting cast iron pipe
While reading another thread here, I noticed some comments about what types of cutting wheel to use for cutting metal. One person wrote, "Although steel is tough on a diamond blade, it isn't instant...
22
22

OT - Hurricane Sandy damage assistance
The individuals that had property damage resulting from hurricane Sandy - living in a flood prone area, shouldn't they have had insurance to cover their losses - if they made the choice not to have...
62
62

Buck Transformer
The voltage at my home is constantly at 125 volts. As a result, light bulbs don't last that long. We tried 130 volt bulbs, but they don't have the same color temperature at 120 volt bulbs. CFLs don't...
19
19

Victorian Terraced House - Surver flagged up damp
Hi All, I am new to this forum so apologies if I have place this thread in the wrong section. I am having a bit of a problem at the moment with a house I am currently in the process of purchasing....
13
13

Cabin stain/oil/sealer
I used Thompson's oil stain on my garage. The garage siding is just plain 1/2" plywood, with a 1x2 nailed over the joints. I painted that garage in 2003. It held up well, and repels water. I used the...
2
2

Truss plate deterioration in barns
While searching the web for truss related things, I found this article (PDF). I was not aware of this problem, but it makes sense. These trusses are used in most large barns these days. What is...
7
7

Roof ice dams & steel roofs
When I was young, I remember my parents house always had problems with ice dams in the winter. The roof was asphalt shingles, and had no overhang, except for a rain gutter. I remember several times...
8
8

How are truss plates installed at a factory
How are truss plates installed at a factory? I've tried to install these things with a hammer, and it just dont work. They get all dented up and just dont make a good fastner. Apparently these...
43
43

Cutting 2" Concrete?
Our new house has a "pond", with koi fish, which is actually a concrete lined oval "tub" about 3' deep. I would like to eventually enlarge it and landscape to make it look more natural. Previous owner...
6
6

Why are trusses being used in homes
Seems that every new house I see being built today are using trusses for the roof. I dont understand the reasoning to that. Trusses are great for large commercial buildings and barns, because they...
84
84

Any snow machine men here?
I know I don't need to say this, but I will anyway. ;-) A Google search of 'snow mobile forums' turned up a huge number of forums, some product specific, some just general chat forums. Have you tied...
12
12

Unhappy with Aprilair 600 humidifier
Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600 humidifier It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the drain, and not doing much to humidify house.
16
16

Demolition job.
This might amuse you. Big change in all the PC health & safety then and now. Fred Dibnah Demolishing Dartmill Tower In 1985 ( Full Version )
12
12

OT: Show of Hands
Has anyone changed their minds on the gun control issue? I have not, I'm still a supporter of the constitution and second amendment.
69
69

water leaking burnham v-14a-t
I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak...
17
17