Subject Author Posted Replies

Pipe heating cables
They sell heating cables of various lengths to attach to a metal pipe to prevent freezing. If a heat cable is 6ft long and rated at 40 watts, how hot does the cable feel to the hand if the cable was...
23
23

OT: Cat humor
Character in a book of fiction relating his former domestic woes: "Yeah, she cleaned out the checking account and got the house and everything in it. She also took the cats, so I guess I broke even."
1
1

How do you get rid of an Agave Century plant on the side of the house
My friend has an old Agave Century plant in a relatively inaccessible location on the side of his house It's a "century" plant, about 3 feet tall and five feet wide with the spiky thorns (I don't have...
10
10

OT - Sandy aid for apartment dwellers
I read an article in the local newspaper about the proposed congressional Sandy aid. It mentioned a lady who was living in a hotel getting FEMA assitance due to the apartment building that she was...
14
14

Power outage revisited
It's been a few weeks but just an FYI for those who helped me and are interested in the outcome of the circuit which was out. It ended up being a fried neutral behind my medicine cabinet. The medicine...
18
18

Last step in the project of building a home soda machine for flavoring cola
I can't find the right group so the two groups this is being sent to are actually each half-way related to the question below. I made a home-built C02 carbonation machine using a 20 pound carbon...
64
64

dishwasher leak
My Whirlpool GU2300XT/B2 dishwasher has a tiny leak under the right side of the door. It is not leaking under the rest of the dishwasher where the guts of the unit are. I have removed the access panel...
16
16

Radon mitigation discharge pipe
Our radon outlet pipe ends in a down-facing elbow, above the 2nd story roof. When I installed it, I put a screen over the outlet, thinking to prevent bugs and birds from nesting. In recent bad...
20
20

Furnace Repairman arrested
A furnace repairman came to a job with a box containing a new furnace in his truck. He was preparing to install it in the home, and began to unload the box, when the police arrived and arrested him at...
5
5

Attic mold, or just water-stained wood??
Dear Readers, Today I was removing kraft-paper-faced fiberglass bats from between the raf= ters behind my kneewall (cape cod house). They were draft with no signs of= water stains. When I pulled the...
4
4

Sidewalk Squares With "Valves" In The Middle?
I was traveling through Vermont this weekend and walked around the pedestrian mall in downtown Burlington. One of the buildings on the mall was the Ethan Allen Engine Company #4, as shown here. Note...
11
11

CFL / LED bulbs and X-10 ?
I decided to start using my old X-10 setup again. It worked OK w/ incandescent bulbs, but now I am trying to use CFLs using X-10 appliance modules. (I'm not trying to dim any of them). First I started...
24
24

More on anodes, water heaters, a neat solution?
Awl -- From a site I found (and mentioned, iirc, by a poster in the previous thread), good info. 's a neat alternative to magnesium anodes: this really effectve? This seems like a perty easy diy...
11
11

Condensation between the panes of 7 yr. old skylight.(s)..okay to leave it alone?
I live in a condo, and I'm just noticing condensation between the panes in = a 7yr old Velux skylight that was installed when the roof was replaced. Ac= tually, there is a 2nd skylight installed at...
9
9

(OT) Car coolant question
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will...
97
97