Subject Author Posted Replies

So what's the scam here?
Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what size? So I emailed the seller for...
26
26

Location of CO detector (inside HVAC ducts?)
The instructions that come with residential CO detectors tell you to place them on the ceiling, outside each bedroom, and have at least one on each level of the house. They say to not put them in the...
21
21

Car AC theory question
AC condensers (the part that's in front of the radiator) can be purchased in bare aluminum or painted black. The purpose is to transfer heat to the air. It seems to me that for maximum heat transfer...
83
83

Leak coming in by fuse box
I just heard some water dripping here in our basement and was shocked to see drops of water coming off the box of the fuse box. I looked around outside and it looks like water is coming in where the...
7
7

Sharkbite fittings
I never heard of them until a couple of years ago on this newsgroup. Fantastic, they are. When my house was build, the baseboard heating tubing had to take a bend at the shower stall. The plumber put...
15
15

refilling a home charcoal filter tank
I need to replace my charcoal filtler water tank in my basement but I don't want to buy a whole new tank ready to go if all I need do is refill the present tank with charcoal and other media. I just...
2
2

Ping: HeyBub re HF log splitter
About a month ago, you described an unsatisfactory experience with the Harbor Freight log splitter, and I suggested a possible explanation. I was right. Today, I was in my local HF store, and looked...
6
6

sump pump exterior hose
i have a sump that empties outside ,the pipe out of the house is 1 1/4 inch,i have 1 inch & quarter hose running 50 feet out ,but in the winter it freezes up,is there any way to connect a 3" flexible...
6
6

Blocking access under the stage
Technical challenge. Under the stage at church, is an area which the teens discovered as a hide out. No adults, no lights. Not safe. There is access about 24 x width of two stud bays. About 20 wide. I...
31
31

Tankless H2O heater verdict
Some Eccotemp water heaters froze causing burst plumbing etc. http://tinyurl.com/b8vafws
16
16

Portable A/C recommendation
I have a 1000 sq ft duplex that I would like to cool down in San Ramon, California during this upcoming Summer. Our area has some occasional 100 degree days, but most of the summer is in the 80's and...
3
3

insulation - ROI
Have about R43 (give or take) batt insulation in the attic. Just curious as to when adding more is not going to have a significant impact. thanks richard
12
12

Gas furnace
Can a heat exchanger be replaced or repaired on a gas furnace?
12
12

Install inline heater in Kohler whirlpool tub
I have a Kohler whirlpool jet tub. I like to add an inline heater to the pl umbing so that the water temperature is maintained. Does anyone have experi ence with installing such an inline heater to an...
5
5

Parade Magazine - HF
Parade Magazine is a Sunday supplement to many newspapers across the nation. I almost never look at it because it has articles like "What every woman was wearing at the Cat Show," but for some reason...
13
13