Subject Author Posted Replies

How to bury your guns
I ran across this article on another newsgroup which dealt with some of the conspiracy theorists in the US that are burying guns and ammunition in case they need to shoot someone someday. It is an...
42
42

Stairs - What to do after tearing up carpet?
First time poster here, I was curious what people think I should do with my basement steps. Basically the carpet was old, and smelled terrible + had pet stains from many years so we decided to tear it...
9
9

Rotten egg hot water - success ever? anybody?
Rotten egg odor in hot water is a common concern here. The most common fix recommended is to change the sacrificial anode for a different material. The rationale for doing so is less than detailed,...
3
3

Simpson Strong-tie for beam under joist
Hello, I need some type of Simpson product for connecting a 4x6 beam to a 2x8 joist. The 4x6 beam in this application is supported on it's own, and the 2x8 joists rest on the beam. Basically I just...
1
1

Ideas for removing sharp thorns on sidewalk lemon trees
My sister recently bought a house in the Silicon Valley that just happens to have a set of thorny lemon trees near the sidewalk: This weekend, I knocked off all the thorns that I could: But, I wonder...
9
9

Remove brown toilet stains/deposits
We have perfectly fine old toilet, which works fine and has no mechanical problems. I care for my mom, who suffers from dementia, and when she uses the toilet during the night, more often than not,...
46
46

Advice requested for repairing crumbling decorative brick wall
My sister bought a 1960's house with a crumbling brick wall which I offered to fix for her - so first - I'd like to ask your advice. The wall does not appear to be a supporting structure; and for the...
7
7

Oven is in. Some more questions.
I installed my wall oven. I ended up having to install the junction box in the cabinet below. It works fine. A couple of questions. I installed the oven on 2x4 runners layed flat on th e plywood top...
39
39

OT: US leads Saudi Arabia in oil production
From Investor's Business Daily: Mostly a screed against the current administration, but some interesting tid-bits on the oil future. "The U.S. passed Saudi Arabia as the world's largest petroleum...
35
35

Roots in the Sewer Follow-On Question
Rather than hijack the prior thread, I'll start a new one. The three toilets in my home seem to be a little sluggish when they flush. Because of the layout of the property, I don't think there is a...
12
12

Smelly Water
Our home water is from our municipality. There are three bathrooms. The plumbing in the house is about 10 years old, and it is all copper. In the upstairs bathroom, two or three times per week, when...
14
14

OT While are eggs becoming more pointy?
OT While are eggs becoming more pointy? I googled this, but all I found were pages about why one should store eggs pointy end down. But I've noticed in the last year or two that eggs from the grocery...
7
7

Something causing allergy symptoms
I found a corner in the house that makes my eyes burn and swell up and nose plug up. I'm thinking there must be some kind of detection kit or service that would sample the room air. Any ideas would be...
13
13

MDF tongue/groove wainscoting....nails AND glue?
I'm planning on putting in wainscoting in dining area, now that I've removed the dang wallpaper. I have choice of cutting 4x8 panels or using tongue and groove panels that are about 7" wide each....
12
12

A man with a gun walks into a bar
A man with a gun walks into a bar, and yells out "Who slept with my wife?!". Another man replies: "You ain't got enough bullets mate!".
1
1