Subject Author Posted Replies

Studs With Mach. Screw Threads and Wood Screw Threads?
What is the name for studs that have machine-screw threads on one end, and wood-screw threads on the other?
7
7

Soundproofing a dishwasher - how much ventilation/cooling does the motor need?
Just for grins I've been sound-dampening a late 80's Hotpoint dishwasher model HDA467 - 02WH using acoustic ceiling panels and carpet applied to both the space the machine occupies and the exterior of...
8
8

OT Worst car sold in the UK
Chevrolet. There's a surprise. Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media
7
7

3/4 or 1" PEX??
I'm replacing 44' of buried 3/4 galvanized water pipe to the water meter at the sidewalk. Looks like PEX is the way to go. But the inside diameter of 3/4" galvanized is about the same as 1" PEX. 1" is...
24
24

non-toxic tile roof cleaner?
The tile roof I asked about yesterday (replacing a tile) also needs cleaning. We'd like to do it ourselves rather than incurring the cost of a professional cleaner and the noise of pressure washing....
2
2

Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter: As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of all...
112
112

Popular Mechanics tests shop vacuums
Not considered is wet-dry capability. You may never need it, but when you do...

EPDM Rubber Roofing wraps over My RV
The EPDM rubber roofing wraps over slightly on both sides of my RV and you can see it from the ground. It gets dirty and doesn't look good. What can I do about this?
2
2

Quartz countertop and dishwasher
I?m having a new quartz counter top installed and have heard that it is very difficult to drill holes to attach the dishwasher holding tabs. What is your recommendation for drilling holes in the...
6
6

Why wait 24 hours after turning an ice cream maker on its side?
My wife sometimes takes warnings too literally. She bought a Cuisinart CIM-60PC ice-cream maker from Costco today: The instructions say (verbatim): "If unit is turned on its side or upside down, you...
27
27

roof tile repair, first row
My girlfriend's house has a concrete tile roof, Spanish style, roughly 5/12 slope. The construction is a bit unusual, albeit sturdy, or so we've been told. The lower end of the first course of tiles...
12
12

Another wrong address
The last lines in the article answer the question.... "The company that made the mistake came back later and said they would make it right but the original roofing company has to make the repairs or...
5
5

What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?
What would make a good insulating material for a water bed? My niece has a water bed. The heater from the water bed makes her room hotter than the rest of the house. I suggested that she take a...
25
25

Garage door opener safety lights
Not sure what they are called, but I'm talking about the little devices low on the garage door frame that detect when an object such as an animal is under the door. One of these got knocked out of...
65
65

small privacy trees
Hi Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.
22
22